Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,360   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XTOL dilutions

Shooter
    35mm

XTOL dilutions

Just a quick question; If I want to make a 1:1 solution of XTOL, is that one part stock solution, and one part water, 1:2 = one part dev and two parts water and 1:3 = one part dev and three parts water?

I'm using Fomadon Excel, but as far as I know it's pretty much the same stuff.

Thanks, Francis

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Francis, that is correct. Just remember that there is a minimum amount of stock Xtol to use for a roll of 35 or 120. I believe it's 125ml per roll. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Going below this amount risks uneven development. I use my Xtol diluted 1:1.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by :Francis: View Post
    Just a quick question; If I want to make a 1:1 solution of XTOL, is that one part stock solution, and one part water...

Thanks, Francis
    Francis, If you hate the use of the colon to indicate dilution you are not alone; so much so that most people use a + instead to be more clear (i.e. 1 + 1, or 1 + 3). The nice thing about a + is that it is an imperative that directs the desired action, "Take X parts of solution A and Add Y parts of solution B. With a colon you have to just know to read it like the word "to" for it to make sense.

Now if you want more to worry about, just wait till someone tells you to prepare a mixture based on percent-solution where one is a liquid and the other is a solid. Think Sherlock Holmes' 7% solution.

Denis K

Shooter
    Medium Format
    @Brian, I think the official word is 100 mL Xtol stock per 8x10 equivalent; but I find it most convenient to do two rolls with the stock I keep in each of my twenty 250 mL bottles---regardless of dilution.

Stinting on developer is a false economy, as cheap as it is compared to the time, money, and effort expended on buying and exposing film.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeSeb View Post
    Stinting on developer is a false economy, as cheap as it is compared to the time, money, and effort expended on buying and exposing film.
    So true Mike. There is no reason not to make sure you negatives receive full and proper development. If you do decide to use Xtol at 1:3 dilution you might be better off using a two reel tank and putting the empty reel on top and filling the tank. That way there is no worry about not using enough stock developer. I honestly think Xtol 1:1 is a great one-shot developer that offers great shadow detail with wonderful tonality and decent sharpness.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I printed TMY2 negs that were developed in xtol 1+1 (at N) and they were so easy. The contrast and grain are terrific.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While the other dilutions are interesting to experiment with - you're not going to find any magic bullets.

Stick to 1+1.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I printed TMY2 negs that were developed in xtol 1+1 (at N) and they were so easy. The contrast and grain are terrific.
    Totally agree. I just came home from Japan with 30 rolls of TMY-2 120 and have developed about half (so far) in Xtol 1+1 (all N). I'm using a Patterson tank so to cover the reel, it's 250 ml of stock + 250ml water.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use XTOL 1:2 because that gives me a bit over 12 min N-development time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I feel left out!

I use XTOL straight.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin