Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,960   Online: 779
      
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Nicholas Lindan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,376
    Images
    4
    The age-old preferred developer for Plus-X is D:76 used 1:1.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    419
    I have a long-expired box of Plus-X in 4x5. I am going to give it a test soon to see if it is still ok. I wonder if Kodak ever does special runs? A box of Plus-X in 8x10 would be tantalizing.
    "The beauty and profundity of God is more real than any mere calculation"

  3. #23
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,289
    Images
    301
    Well, thank you for using my name so eloquently...

    Plus-X is great film. I am inclined to believe that my past problems was due to contaminated or aged developer. With that taken care of I processed quite a few rolls of Plus-X in Rodinal. I used an unconventional 1+200 dilution and processed for half an hour or so, agitating every 5 minutes.
    The results were really nice, actually, and I printed some of those negs yesterday. Very smooth but with excellent sharpness and bite at the same time.
    I have since switched to Tmax 400, but sometimes miss shooting Plus-X. I might use it again some day, just for portraits. Wonderful tonality and great sharpness and bite. The grain is quite beautiful. If you ever want to experiment with D23, Plus-X is probably the optimal partner for it.
    I have seen Randy Libersky's prints from those negatives and they are stunning.

    - Thomas

    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    After searching APUG for discussions on the subject: Plus-X from Kodak i found only some words from Thomas Bertilson on a few rolls he fucked up in pyro.

    Today this film is sold in 135 and 120. Its branded 125PX on the flm rebate. This has changed from earlier emulsions. Yesterday i bought 4 boxes of Plus-X Pan in 4x5" (PXP) dated 1999. I attached a picture of what one off my test sheets looked like.

    I hope other people also like this great film from Kodak, and maybe have som "trivia" on it to share.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  4. #24
    Michel Hardy-Vallée's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montréal (QC)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,351
    Images
    132
    I've used Plus-X and TMAX 400 in MF, and I have to say that they're both fantastic films. In HC-110 dil. H, Plus-X gives you very snappy highlights, and outstanding sharpness. In XTOL 1+1, TMY gives almost the same level of sharpness, but with a more even tone curve.

    I like Plus-X a lot with snow and bright light scenes because it preserves the blinding light feeling these scenes give. I haven't played much with TMAX enough to make comparison, but I feel sorry for having neglected these two films earlier on.

    I must say I don't like Plus-X in 35mm, because I haven't managed to find a good development regimen for it. Perhaps it's also because Tri-X is the 35mm look, that I have a hard time appreciating other films...
    Using film since before it was hip.


    "One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

    My APUG Portfolio

  5. #25
    Uncle Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Oakville and Toronto Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,370
    Images
    308
    Count me in as another happy Plus X user up until now in 35mm only and it looks great processed in D76 1+1 at box speed. I do have say with a propack recently purchased, I can't wait to try out Plus X in 120 in my borrowed Rolleiflex Automat.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

  6. #26

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Valley Stream, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    Count me in as another happy Plus X user up until now in 35mm only and it looks great processed in D76 1+1 at box speed. I do have say with a propack recently purchased, I can't wait to try out Plus X in 120 in my borrowed Rolleiflex Automat.
    You will like it.
    Frank Schifano

  7. #27
    Rlibersky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    St Paul MN
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    777
    Images
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Well, thank you for using my name so eloquently...

    Plus-X is great film. I am inclined to believe that my past problems was due to contaminated or aged developer. With that taken care of I processed quite a few rolls of Plus-X in Rodinal. I used an unconventional 1+200 dilution and processed for half an hour or so, agitating every 5 minutes.
    The results were really nice, actually, and I printed some of those negs yesterday. Very smooth but with excellent sharpness and bite at the same time.
    I have since switched to Tmax 400, but sometimes miss shooting Plus-X. I might use it again some day, just for portraits. Wonderful tonality and great sharpness and bite. The grain is quite beautiful. If you ever want to experiment with D23, Plus-X is probably the optimal partner for it.
    I have seen Randy Libersky's prints from those negatives and they are stunning.

    - Thomas
    Thanks Thomas. That is my favorite portrait combination for 120 on up.

  8. #28
    kompressor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    196
    For all off you who wants to try Plus-x Pan in sheets: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...E:B:SS:US:1123

    Its the same source i both 100 sheets from. I recomend this seller. He shipped ultra fast and packed the films very safe before the trans atlantic trip with US POstal.

  9. #29
    wogster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, ON, Canada
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    After searching APUG for discussions on the subject: Plus-X from Kodak i found only some words from Thomas Bertilson on a few rolls he fucked up in pyro.

    Today this film is sold in 135 and 120. Its branded 125PX on the flm rebate. This has changed from earlier emulsions. Yesterday i bought 4 boxes of Plus-X Pan in 4x5" (PXP) dated 1999. I attached a picture of what one off my test sheets looked like.

    I hope other people also like this great film from Kodak, and maybe have som "trivia" on it to share.
    I last used a roll of Plus-X around 1981, moved entirely to Ilford around 1981, when I converted the darkroom to metric, a huge leap at the time for a guy trained in school in Imperial Measure. Never was able to make sense of US Measure. At that time, you could only buy D76 as 1 US Quart or 1 US Gallon, or Ilford ID11 as 1L and 5L, and the Ilford was cheaper here in Canada, even though you got slightly more. I found that FP4 and HP5 worked well enough for me, so switched to them. Besides HP5 had less grain then Tri-X at the time, I found FP4 and Plus-X close enough to the same for me at the time.

    Now considering trying some TMY so, Kodak is back in the running, currently souping in D76 (now sold in 1L and 1 US Gallon sizes), the prices have reversed, so now Kodak is cheaper..... I need to get to the photo shop and pick up a roll of TMY and Delta 400.....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

    The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

  10. #30
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,289
    Images
    301
    In the last two days I have made 28 prints from Plus-X medium format negatives, processed in Rodinal. I don't use Rodinal anymore, but these were done at 1+200 dilution with 2.5ml concentrate per roll. Half an hour with agitation every 5 minutes.
    The negatives are so easy to print, have a creamy yet sharp quality to them... Currently I'm only using Tmax film (100 and, mostly, 400). This has me thinking, as those prints just fell into place one after another. I'm very happy with how it went.

    Plus-X is really great film.

    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin