Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,663   Online: 820

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

The master Plus-x thread

After searching APUG for discussions on the subject: Plus-X from Kodak i found only some words from Thomas Bertilson on a few rolls he fucked up in pyro.

Today this film is sold in 135 and 120. Its branded 125PX on the flm rebate. This has changed from earlier emulsions. Yesterday i bought 4 boxes of Plus-X Pan in 4x5" (PXP) dated 1999. I attached a picture of what one off my test sheets looked like.

I hope other people also like this great film from Kodak, and maybe have som "trivia" on it to share.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails candy.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I love it. I can't say I shoot it all the time, but I do shoot it frequently. It's my slower go to film, counterpart to Tri-X.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I tested it on EI64 and developed it in Xtol 1:1 in jobo. But in 120 i like it 6 minutes in Xtol 1:1 or 1+100 in rodinal for 18 minutes. I know that many portraiture photographers just love this film. Morten Krogvold a Hasseblad master, use it a lot. But even on Kodaks own web pages, they doesnt give much attention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forget Plus-X. I wants me a ginger ale now...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I suddenly find myself thirsty.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 4x5 film only shares the Plus-X name with the 35mm and 120 emulsions.

4x5 Plus-X was prized for Hurrell style portraits. It had an upswept HD curve - sometimes called 'all toe' - that leads to increasing contrast in the highlights and rather blocked shadows. The film was also good for winter snow and ice scenes, flowing water and other highlight intensive subject matter.

The 4x5 film hasn't been made for quite a few years.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    The 4x5 film hasn't been made for quite a few years.
    I bought hundreds of sheets when it went out of production. It is my main portrait film.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very nice example, by the way. I've never had the chance to use the sheet film version of Plus-X, but I sure do like the roll film version. Say what you will about FP4+, Acros, Delta 100, and even TMax 100; I just love this stuff. Even the much adored, and now gone, APX 100 has nothing on Plus-X. To those who haven't tried it, just do it. It's easy to work with. No fancy schmantzy developer needed either. D-76 or ID-11 will get you box speed with no problem and very good shadow detail.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i mainly shoot it small formats, maybe in a blue moon 120.
    i don't particularly like the tab grain tmx/tmy in 135
    and i love the way plus x looks in just about any developer
    it is developed in. i often times ( for work ) will process it in sprint film developer
    which is a d76 with out metol sort of fluid, and i love to soak it in coffee and ansco130 ...
    i wish they made it large still, i would trade all my tmy/tmx i have in 4x5 sheets for
    +x ...

nice sodapop!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sorry to say I have never sunk my teeth into a roll of Plus-X yet. I really would like to try some. I like your sample photo!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin