Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,067   Online: 971

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Any shooters of Ilford Pan F Plus?

I just shot off two 35mm rolls and have yet to develop them. It was more of a test to compare 2- 50mm lenses then to discover the film. I'm thinking about just developing them out fast in Diafine then to use my Xtol. Any user thoughts on the film and your discoveries. I advanced searched Pan F, etc, and found nothing?
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've developed it in Ilford DD-X and in Aculux 3. Some people find it quite a hard film to get right, I think, as it can be a bit contrasty sometimes. It's a nice film. I particularly like the look it has when shot with an orange filter.

These two are from the same roll of film. Developed, I think, for 6 min @ 20 deg in Aculux. With DD-X I just use the Ilford recommended times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pan F seems to be little used amongst those around here - compared to the usual T-max' s Delta's etc.
    I love this film and always dev it in dilute Perceptol which seems to tame it's inherent contrast. This combination always gives me fine grain and biting sharpness (if this is what you seek). The main drawback is the need to downrate considerably as perceptol is speed reducing. I often put Pan F at 12 - 20 iso but alot depends on your metering technique.

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's one of my most used films. I like it because it's a bit more contrasty although Ive never found it too much so.
    I use Rodinal exclusively with it and love both the tonality and sharpness...ymmv of course but it's a good combination. I've heard DDX is good with that film also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 120 in a few old Brownies. It is a great fit there. Very low contrast lenses respond well to the film's contrast. I use DD X by the box directions.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    It gives me normal contrast if i shoot it at 25 iso processed in Rodinal. This film gives me some of the best mid-tones I have seen in a film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot a ton of it. I get a fill EI 50 out of it in PMK.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's quite good in Diafine. I get EI 80 with it and the contrast is tamed. I know one photographer who gets EI 50, but were only talking 2/3 stop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a lot of it when Freestyle was selling under their private label as Arista Pro 50. I still have about 700 ft of it in my freezer. IMO, this is one of the nicest films that Ilford makes. I get box speed and very nicely manageable contrast when I develop it in D-76 1+3. So far, and I don't think this is going to change, Ilford's directions for that developer at that dilution ratio have been working splendidly well for me. I've tried it in XTOL and Rodinal, but D-76 1+3 delivers easily printable negatives more consistently than the others. Now, I'm sure I could dial in equally good results with other developers, but this is working so well that I have no incentive to change my practice.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is beautiful. It is super sharp and contrasty. If you want to force it into normal contrast on a grade two paper and use tonal placement a la the zone system, you will of course find that it is significantly slower due to its contrast. I just rate it at box speed when using an incident meter, and if, based on the contrastiness of the light in the composition, it will end up too contrasty, then I overexpose and underdevelop. It is a great film for graphic high contrast (halftone or near halftone effect) when underexposed and overdeveloped. For this, I usually rate at 200 or 400 and use D-19, which is a great choice for this. It is bound to go away sooner than later. Supposedly it does not keep well, though I can't say that I have found this myself. I have used it up to two years past expiry and it looked fine. I wonder how it would keep 5, 10, or 20 years if frozen.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-02-2009 at 11:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin