Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,244   Online: 1109

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just read something in some Kodak literature that I've never noticed before. In some literature about development times for some film, it says that the recommended times are for diffusion enlargers and to reduce the times by 20%-30% for condensor enlargers.

I've never noticed anything like this before, so I've never reduced any times I've found before. I don't really ever having a problem, but I guess I should ask the group. Have I been missing the boat here? Anyone else seen this little note in the tech data? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I believe that note has been part of their tech data for quite some time.
    Brian McDowell

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought it is that developing times are based on condenser enlarger and to use 20 % more time for diffuser type.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I rememeber being told by a professor that the times manufactures gave were usually for diffuser enlargers, and that matched my feeble attempts at E.I. testing...
    Both films I have tested (35mm tri-x and 120 macophot up 100) tested pretty dang close to what a diffuser would need on the high values, folllowing manufacturer's specs (efke specs for the maco).
    To kind of enforce the point, I was the only one printing with diffusion heads in my class, and everyone else had to drop dev times at least 20-25% to print on condenser.

Keep in mind that my ignorance is only surpassed by my faulty memory, so don't hate me if I'm wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's already been covered here, but for clarity's sake here's my two cents' worth,...

Diffusion light sources (aka dichroic colour heads) are typically lower in contrast than condenser heads; therefore (B&W) film is usually developed slightly longer to correct for this. It's all relative.

In densitometric terms, it's as follows:

Zone I exposure: 0.10 above fb+f (up to .20 a la Mr. Hutchings)

Zone VIII exposure: 1.25 to 1.35 (net) above fb+f for a diffusion enlarger
    Zone VIII exposure: 1.15 to 1.25 (net) above fb+f for a condenser enlarger

For the sake of reference, your Zone V exposure should be as follows:

Zone V exposure: 0.65 to 0.75 (net) above fb+f for a diffusion enlarger
    Zone V exposure: 0.60 to 0.70 (net) above fb+f for a condenser enlarger
    "If I'm a rebel sanctioned by society, encouraged by my parents, and cheered on by Hallmark, what is left to rebel against?"
    Hal Niedzviecki

Kodak used to publish development times for condenser enlargers. Several years ago they changed their times to use diffusion enlargement as the standard (probably has to do with all the color heads in use).

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the clarification. I was looking at a 1974 Kodak time & temp chart. The times back in those days were for condenser. I guess that shows my age.

gma

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin