Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,895   Online: 990

Shooter
    35mm
    Has anyone tried the Maco Aura film in 120 format?

If so, do you get a noticeable halation effect?

I'd have thought that with a black backing paper, the halation effect would be limited. (unless they use silver or white backing paper, I suppose!)

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not tried it, but the Freestyles catalog has two Maco infrared film listed : Maco IR 820C with anti-halation backing and Maco Aura 820C without anti-halation backing for "enhanced Blooming effect". The 820 refers to the wavelength of 820 nm. The only infrared film I have used is Kodak and even with the anti-halo backing there is cosiderable "blooming" in my opinion. I do not think I would want to make it any more pronounced by using a film without the backing unless of course that is the effect you are seeking.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have only tried it in 4x5", where I don't really see the rationale behind it. Part of the "blooming" effect of Kodak HIE stems from the lack of anti-halation coating, but equally important is the small size of the negative (35mm). It is much less pronounced on larger film sizes!

There was practicaly no discernible difference between 820c and 820c "AURA" in 4x5", and I wouldn't expect much of it in 120 either. Of course it can be increased by giving it a white or metallic backing, but it still won't be as strong as on a 35mm film!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    gma, The Kodak infra red film doesn't have the anti-halation backing, so the blooming you're seeing is similar to what would be expected in the Maco Aura in 35mm. (The other common infrared films - Maco 750, Konica 750 (and Ilford SFX) do have an antihalation coating, and so don't show the blooming)

Ole, thanks, I'd expected the effect to be marginal in 5x4, so wasn't going to try it in that size. I'll order a couple of rolls of the 120 next time I order from someone who has it in stock, and will report back. (I'm not planning on re-rolling it! It will have whatever backing paper Maco deliver it on)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin