Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,355   Online: 781

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    If there are no bubble marks on the film your technique is okay.
    Well, now. That's basically the "test", isn't it?
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you find that you cracked the bottom of a plastic tank or dented the bottom of a stainless steel tank, you might not want to use that much force in the future. :o I thought you would like to know.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jason Brunner has a great video on Youtube illustrating the proper knocking routine. My memory is you knock first on the side of the bottom like against the edge of a sink, and then knock a few times right on the corner before setting it straight down.

Since I'm usually developing film after midnight and until about 3 AM, I like the heavy rapping. It keeps my neighbors wondering
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use something like the handle end of a screw driver and rap the side of the tank, not very hard but with many repetitions. SS or plastic tank. Works for me.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram View Post
    If the tank has been naughty, you give it a good spanking.
    This is the right approach with me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs View Post
    This is the right approach with me.
    You mean with your film tank or your own naughty self?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis K View Post
    About half the impact of rock-paper-sizzers.
    Couldn't be clearer.

I find I tap too hard, but it's due to frustration from having 3 rolls come out with bubbles. Considering that until the first roll happened (1 1/2 years ago) this had NEVER happened before and I'd never made any sort of special tapping effort, I was baffled. Especially when it happened twice more. I do worry about cracking the tank though so I should probably pull back a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is a bloody good question. It is all down to where you are. I have never had problems in the UK but have severe problems in Kabul. see this thread for solutions to drying marks (another problem in Kabul) as it also helps on air bubbles too. FWIW, although I can dislodge some air bubbles by banging th base of the dev tank on a hard floor, I cannot remove them all. Adding a tiny amount of wetting agent to the dev seems to help a lot.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/6...d-water-2.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you drop it on the floor, the bottom will get cracks and light enters the tank...

Be gentle with it!
    I never tap it, if you gentle rotate it f.i. the first minute and have a presoak before the developer is put in, this will not be a problem at all.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    How do we know without opening the tank to look? Maybe an experiment with outdated or sacrificial film would be in order. I use such vigorous agitation that there sholud either be no bubbles or bubbles everywhere, But I still give it a good rap when I set the tank down.
    This is very good advice

Sacrifice a film - it pays dividends in the long run.

I not only "drop" my tank (somewhere between half and once inch) but I also give it a generous (vigorous) rotating wiggle too

It is most critical at the initial fill, when the air can stick to dry film and/or reel.

At subsequent agitations the tapping and wiggling can be reduced

Its amazing down tenacious air bubbles can be.

It’s something of a Catch22 situation – you need enough spare room in your development tank to allow thorough turbulation (hence mixing) of the developer, without excessively aerating the developer

Some films/developers/water types are more likely to aerate than others – so its worth checking how your combination behaves.

Martin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin