Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,061   Online: 877

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Rodinal

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    SURE! I'll take one of those! Maybe we can discuss a new developer involving a pint of Guiness or so. I'll drink to that.
    If you can develop film in coffee and in Orange Juice (vitamin C) , I wouldn't raise an eyelid if someone told me that you can process film in Guiness. Developing in D-76 and drinking Guiness is preferable to the other way around, though.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Images
    Yes, it has the advantage that if you mess up your development, you can drink it for consolation, and if you have perfect results, you can drink it in celebration.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rodinal

How about using Rodinal 1:50 in a rotary (Jobo) processor on TMX or Tech Pan - 120 size or 4x5? I no longer have regular developing tanks or reels. I have used HC110 1:50 in this processor with good results.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by harveyje
    How about using Rodinal 1:50 in a rotary (Jobo) processor on TMX or Tech Pan - 120 size or 4x5? I no longer have regular developing tanks or reels. I have used HC110 1:50 in this processor with good results.
    Sorry my reply is months late but have only just joined. I tried Delta 400 in Rodinal 1:50 in a Jobo and was disappointed. The indoor shots were thin and required grade 4 printing. The outdoor shots were better but still thin. I wrote to Ed Buffalo at unblinkingeye.com and got a very comprehensive reply. He suggested (1) that the Jobo's constant agitation probably destroyed Rodinal's acutance qualities. (2) the D400 film should be rated at 200 not 400 and that a minimum of 5mls of Rodinal should be used. At 1:50 this needs 250 mls of water. My 1 film capacity Jobo tank only needs 140 mls with rotary processing but almost 255mls with hand agitation. However Rodinal is still very economical at 5mls per film. I have yet to try Ed's suggestions all of it would seem to lead to punchier negs. However it seems that rotary processing destroys one of Rodinal's main attributes, namely its sharpness.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In fact the last remark is correct. Rodinal is less suitable for rotation processing. Special when used on high dilution.

In general it is working fine for classical low speed films, unless you want to have special grain effect.

The minimum/film is about 10 ml.
    On the APUG thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/15295-agfa-apx100-what-development-times-do-you-use.html
    you will find more practical hints for using Rodinal.

Best regards and also welcome to APUG.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first started in this great hobby (addiction?) all I had was a several years old half bottle of nice, brown Rodinal. Then I went on an experimenting spree, buying all the types of film I could get my handson (as in : "lets see what this does...hmm..). While, in retrospective, I have to say that some film/exposure combos left a little tobe desired under my by the book Rodinal development, all came out ranging from well to outstanding!!!(factor into that a beginner doing all the processing!).
    I found that faster filmsin 1+25 do not come out as nicely detailed (I am not sure if this is the right term... but its the best I can think up right now) as they did in 1+50. Also, the times being longer gave me the luxury of knowing that a second this way or that would have so much less effect than in 1+25 mode.
    As to the temperature, here is the biggest example of my "noobism": I have measured the temp of carefully adjusted tap water, and then the phone rang. I picked up, talked a bit, then came back to the running tap and DID NOT re-measre the temp. This occured to me halfway through developer, so I dunked the thermometer in the stop bath (filled at the same time) and had a 27 deg C temp!!! Guess what - it still worked decently well. I have also had the opposite happen - the temp dropped to 18*C... still worked (a little thinner than I expected, but quite sharp and good detail.

Looking at a classic film like a TriX or FP4+ (my new favorite!) though a grain magnifier under a condenser enlarger you feel like someone just punched your eyeball!!! I love it!!! And with Delta 100 and PanF, it seems to work quite well too, with very rich tones - I think because of the little fine grains getting really sharp in that image, yet being so tiny, there is really no grain to speak of (until you magnify it).

The biggest drawback I can see (and really its not a drawback, just a characteristic of hte developer) is that one stop is all you can really hope for as far as a noticeable push is required. After that, I find it makes very little difference (comperatively, of course).

Hope this helps, and please keep in mind that I am a relative beginner, and someof my experiences can be chalked up to lack there of!

Best of luck - love Rodinal and it will love you back - I guarantee it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    As to the temperature, here is the biggest example of my "noobism": I have measured the temp of carefully adjusted tap water, and then the phone rang. I picked up, talked a bit, then came back to the running tap and DID NOT re-measure the temp. This occured to me halfway through developer, so I dunked the thermometer in the stop bath (filled at the same time) and had a 27 deg C temp!!! Guess what - it still worked decently well. I have also had the opposite happen - the temp dropped to 18*C... still worked (a little thinner than I expected, but quite sharp and good detail.
    It's worth knowing that a chart showing changes to required development time as a function of temperature is available on the Ilford website:
    www.ilford.com
    To be specific:
    http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/bw.html
    (possibly elsewhere as well).

Regards.

David

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin