Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,945   Posts: 1,585,816   Online: 990

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Yesterday was the first time I developed a roll of film (HP5) in my photography class. We practiced for a while inserting the film onto the reels prior to the real thing. But I still had a bit of a problem after the dry run. Wound up with a burn on about the third or fourth frame.

Thinking maybe I should buy a reel and continue to practice with a outdated and expired roll of Long's 35mm film.
    All of us have been there and done that. Some of us still run into a problem every once in a while.

Welcome to the darkside. Keep on working on it, you will get the hang after a while.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    Back when our college mentor started us out in darkroom, we were sent to the dorm on Friday with a length of film and a plastic reel (FR or Yankee?) and told to come back being able to load film in the dark.

I practiced and practiced in my dorm room, with my eyes closed. Monday, I passed my "test." Now, almost fifty years later, I sit there in the dark loading reels------still with my eyes closed.
    This seems to come up a lot. So last week, when I was loading film after a long absence, I was paying attention to what I did. I was a little surprised to note that I had my eyes wide open. That is, they were open until I ran into a problem and was trying to feel where the film had jumped the track. When I finished doing that, I realized that my eyes were clamped shut.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DLawson View Post
    This seems to come up a lot. So last week, when I was loading film after a long absence, I was paying attention to what I did. I was a little surprised to note that I had my eyes wide open. That is, they were open until I ran into a problem and was trying to feel where the film had jumped the track. When I finished doing that, I realized that my eyes were clamped shut.
    Hmmm ... an open and shut case ... well we will not need CSI to follow the evidence.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    my first attempt at loading a 5x4 film holder in the dark still makes me shudder with horror........ (how rubbish is that??)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to our world. There will be carnage.
    As everyone else has said: practice, practice, practice.
    Stainless, plastic, that'll be a personal choice, but get to where you can do them without thinking about it. Trust me, if I take a break of a few months, or switch from one type to the other, there will be cursing and cold sweats in the dark for a few minutes. If all else fails, try these two tricks: 1) if you get too frustrated, wrap the film up and stick it in the tank and get out of there for a few minutes and come back and try it again, or 2) leave the first few inches of the 'leader' out of the can and pre-load that in the light. (if you're using plastic reels, trim the loading edge of your film to rid it of sharp corners-especially if you've cut across a sprocket hole-then they won't snag on the reel.)
    Good. Fast. Cheap. (pick any two)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by q2q@tds.net View Post
    1) if you get too frustrated, wrap the film up and stick it in the tank and get out of there for a few minutes and come back and try it again,
    Best idea ever.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Congrats on your first roll of film! Trust me, it only gets easier, and more fascinating, from here.

Best advice I can offer is what you mentioned -- get an expired or spare strip of film, and practice loading it in daylight. When you're comfortable with that, do it with your eyes closed or in a darkened room. It won't take long, don't worry.

Plastic or metal, the advice is the same. You'll get it...best of luck in the future!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I figure I should stick to practicing with stainless steel since that's what we have in the darkroom.

I don't seem to have a problem finding the nibs on the reel; its keeping the darn film from krinkling or jumping a track that's frustrating. Teacher said to listen for a "swoosh, swoosh" sound. Supposed to mean the film is being loaded onto the reel without any problem. Yeah right! Maybe if I slow down a tad.

Last night, the lab assistants helped with mixing the chemistry. Reel (pun intended) test comes when I can do everything (loading film, and mixing chemicals) by myself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It really is not that hard. After a few times it will become second nature. After two weeks I don't even need to read the bottles when I mix chems (I do usually check myself).
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I just finally figured it out. Only been trying off and on for 3 years :-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin