Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,813   Online: 1016

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Processed my first roll of B&W film

Yesterday was the first time I developed a roll of film (HP5) in my photography class. We practiced for a while inserting the film onto the reels prior to the real thing. But I still had a bit of a problem after the dry run. Wound up with a burn on about the third or fourth frame.

Thinking maybe I should buy a reel and continue to practice with a outdated and expired roll of Long's 35mm film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, that's a good idea. I did this but my first roll still turned into a disaster. I was trying to get it on that dang steel reel for about an hour and a half. Finally gave up and went and got one of the plastic reels the next day, but did a lot of bending damage to the roll the night before.

The photo gods must be appeased. They demand sacrifice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdarklight View Post
    ... my first roll still turned into a disaster.
    This is starting to sound like an AA meeting.

I'm Denis K and I don't care what other's say, I like plastic reels. That's all I ever use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Denis K View Post
    This is starting to sound like an AA meeting.

I'm Denis K and I don't care what other's say, I like plastic reels. That's all I ever use.
    I tried to go old school, but the plastic reels are easier, and that first reel taught me a valuable lesson: There's no point in endangering your negatives if there's a more reliable method.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Agreed...

I'm J. Richard and I use plastic reels.
    - J. Richard
    4x5 Speed Graphic, Looking for another 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First congrats and welcome to the fold. My preference is for steel reels (I have both) but you do need *good* steel reels. I would recommend Hewes.

I develop film in my kitchen, thus I use a light bag to load the film. The Patterson Universal that I have makes for a tight fit, and doing more than 1 roll becomes a pain. The steel reels are smaller and user smaller cans. As a perk, they also require less chemical when doing 1-shots.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdarklight View Post
    I tried to go old school, but the plastic reels are easier, and that first reel taught me a valuable lesson: There's no point in endangering your negatives if there's a more reliable method.
    Old school-my bakelite Yankee Clipper tank that I bought in the 60's used. It's probably from the late 40's. I still have the tank and thermometer, but alas, the reel is long ago departed. Bought a new Paterson, but it doesnt work for me, so I defer to my s.s. reels and tanks.
    Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Practise loading the spiral using an old film in the light a few times.
    Then do it with your eyes shut a few times.
    When you can do it without having to open your eyes your ready to do it in a changing bag.

Just make sure the spiral is absolutely dry (using a hairdryer to gently warm up a plastic spiral will help)

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilmsmaggie View Post
    Yesterday was the first time I developed a roll of film (HP5) in my photography class. We practiced for a while inserting the film onto the reels prior to the real thing. But I still had a bit of a problem after the dry run. Wound up with a burn on about the third or fourth frame.

Thinking maybe I should buy a reel and continue to practice with a outdated and expired roll of Long's 35mm film.
    Back when our college mentor started us out in darkroom, we were sent to the dorm on Friday with a length of film and a plastic reel (FR or Yankee?) and told to come back being able to load film in the dark.

I practiced and practiced in my dorm room, with my eyes closed. Monday, I passed my "test." Now, almost fifty years later, I sit there in the dark loading reels------still with my eyes closed. And I actually think doing this with closed eyes helps in the "visualization" of what I am doing. Oh, yeah; I use SS reels now, but learned the same way and work the same way.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congradulations and welcome the the world of film development!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin