Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,270   Online: 954

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaTom View Post
    Two hours is not long enough to thaw the film. The metal and the film warm at different rates. You mention that the first frame of the e-6 film had a flaking problem--this and the last frame are the most vulnerable if the film is not at ambient temperature. In that case it is probably fissures in the emulsion. Thaw the film, ideally, for 24 hours, but a minimum of 5-6
    Actually kodak has somewhat different opinion:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...fo/e30/e30.pdf
    There's table on second page with warm up time from different temperatures for different types of film.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not very patient so I often yank my film out of the freezer and put it right in the camera. Never had any trouble.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I'm not very patient so I often yank my film out of the freezer and put it right in the camera. Never had any trouble.
    I take several rolls out of the freezer before I go shooting and load them as the previous rolls are finished. If I do not use some rolls, they go back in the freezer near the front.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Domin View Post
    Actually kodak has somewhat different opinion:
    http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...fo/e30/e30.pdf
    There's table on second page with warm up time from different temperatures for different types of film.
    Kodak says also than RH must be under 50%, somewhat difficult to achieve in commercial home freezers.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Freezer Burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Kodak says also than RH must be under 50%,
    somewhat difficult to achieve in commercial
    home freezers.
    Freezer humidities run very low. As I've mentioned
    this thread freeze drying takes place. Moisture is
    pulled from whatever and deposits as ice. Ever
    hear of freezer burn? Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    Freezer humidities run very low. As I've mentioned
    this thread freeze drying takes place. Moisture is
    pulled from whatever and deposits as ice. Ever
    hear of freezer burn? Dan
    This explains the brittleness of the film...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Just for test purposes buy a few fresh rolls, shoot them, process-develop them, dry them the way you normally do. If the dust also shows in the test rolls, the problem is not with the freezing. If that proves to be the case there are many past threads here on how to control dust in your darkroom procedure.

I freeze my sheet film from between 1-3 years. The only dust I am aware of is when I am not as careful about cleaning everything in the darkroom as I know I should. The darkroom is in the basement. Heat rises, but dust falls. I have not been able to figure that out. Maybe I just track it in on my shoes or wear it in on my clothes.

John Powers

Shooter
    35mm
    Let me start by saying I am far from an expert on film. I do have a LOT of old frozen film though, including some really old Panatomic-X and Kodalith that I picked up from an old timer that closed shop last spring. It was still frozen when the guy handed me the box and said "Do you want this too?" and is in my freezer now. I have been shooting it off a little at a time and have had no issues despite the fact it has been frozen since the late 70's and early 80's (no issues with the film that is, the "pilot error" learning curve moments were plentiful at first though).
    Remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    Freezer humidities run very low...
    On the contrary, the freezer compartment of a typical home frost-free refrigerator/freezer subjects its contents to very high relative humidity (RH). See the second paragraph on p. 665 here:

http://www.wilhelm-research.com/pdf/..._HiRes_v1a.pdf

I place Kodak sheet film, which is sealed in foil envlopes at low RH, as are Kodak, Fuji and Ilford roll film, in the freezer compartment for long-term storage. Ilford sheet film and all of the above after initial opening are put in plastic bags and returned to the refrigerator compartment.

I don't see how Allesandro's storage protocol could aggravate dust problems. There might be other emulsion issues from the temperature cycling, but RH-induced static charging shouldn't be among them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    On the contrary, the freezer compartment of a typical home
    frost-free refrigerator/freezer subjects its contents to very high
    relative humidity (RH).
    Only during brief periods of defrosting. I doubt the 70 degrees
    fahrenheit and near 100% RH stated. Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin