Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,533   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D76 Dilution?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    At any dilution, and especially when you go greater than
    1:1 you need to make sure you have sufficient stock solution
    in the mix. According to Kodak the minimum volume is
    250 ml per 36 exp roll.
    Kodak may be factoring in the time needed for development;
    keeping it short. The minimum volume, is that of stock or 1:1?
    The 1:7 dilution I've suggested would use 62.5 milliliters of
    stock strength in the 500 milliliters volume needed. Dan

bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm bumping this since some of my questions stem from the previous discussion.

It started with me trying to figure out how to develop a roll of Tri-X 400 that I shot this past week. The whole roll is indoor candids, many (but not all) taken with the on camera flash. My camera is a Yashica T5.

I was trying to decide if I wanted to develop in stock, 1:1, or some greater dilution, for best results given the artificial lighting and inferior flash.

But the more I read, the more I'm questioning my understanding of these things.

What is meant by solution volume (mentioned above)? If I dilute at 1:3 do I need some minimum amount of stock strength solution? This would imply that I need more working solution and a larger tank for these weaker dilutions.

And what is the difference between 1:1 and 1+1? I sometimes see them used interchangeably. (It's hard to search on these.)

And finally, any suggestions as to how to deal with this particular roll of film would be great.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can dilute it a dozen different ways, as with many developers. If you want to use it one shot, then I would dilute it at least 1:1 to get the most out of it.

But you can replenish it and use it straight, which may be a better option in some cases. In that case, you make an initial stock solution from the regular D-76 pouch, or make it yourself with powders. You also mix up a separate bottle of replenisher, which uses a different recipe. I am pretty sure you can still buy it from Kodak, though if not, you can make it yourself. For every so may rolls (others can give you the details, as I am not sure) you add a certain amount of replenisher, after dumping enough of the stock solution to make room for it.

Some people swear by replenishment. I am sure this thread will get into it, but if not, you can search the archives for information.

I used to use it mostly at 1:1 and 1:3 one shot, and sometimes straight reused, adding time for every so many rolls, as Kodak recommends.

One more thing. IME, whenever a manufacturer states a minimum amount of developer stock or concentrate per roll for the working solution, it can be halved and still allow completely normal development. For instance, Rodinal minimum is 10 mL. 5 mL works fine. HC-110 is 6 mL syrup. 3 mL works fine. D-76 is 4 oz. 2 oz. works fine. And so on and so forth with most other run-of-the-mill developers.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-26-2011 at 04:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find that using D-76 1:1 tames a high contrast scene to some extent. That is good where you have harsh lighting such as from your on camera flash. Using it 1:1 in a single roll tank works just fine. There is plenty of developer strength. Also if you use a condenser enlarger you want slightly less contrast in your negatives.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin