Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,882   Online: 1130

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oh I see, so it's not just an ordinary static discharge. Good to know.

Banging sugar in the darkroom is something I have done, that is quite cool.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have seen this also, only once I think or only once that it freaked me out.
    It was almost like some shone a bright flashlight right just for a split second.
    I can't say I saw any ill effects on the film but I wouldn't like to go trying to do it everytime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use to see that glow alot back a few years ago,don't see now.Maybe Kodak changed there tape or my eye sight is getting worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't seen it lately either. Black electrical tape used to do this too. In any case, it's not bright enough to have any visible effect on the film.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't observed this directly because I use a dark bag, but I will note that when using Acros in 120, the film directly under the tape is spottily exposed. Fuji seems to use plastic tape whereas Ilford films (with papery tape affixing them to the backing) aren't exposed at the ends.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you all for the very informative discussion. I had my suspicions that this is not static, so thank you for the info and link regarding Triboluminescence. Amazing what one learns every day...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    It's called triboluminescence. See this wiki
    Now THAT I'll file away for use next time (or more likely, if ever) I need it for a TV Quiz show. Indeed one does learn something every day.

I have seen it once when peeling with vigour, these days I'm slower all round.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ball lightening, clearly.

But, that's just plain cool. Thanks APUG, for answering questions I never thought of asking.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Can cause havoc with old (old) 16mm film running at high speeds (you dont need tape, the film itself does it, right on the emulsion) - a mates 30 year old FP4 had this issue even at 24fps and I have seen it on 20 year old PlusX but that was at winder speeds, nothing that a camera would produce...
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I fold the tape over, and load the reel from that end. It gives the little clip something else to hold onto.
    Also, since I always load that way, it helps to diagnose problems with processing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin