Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,249   Online: 1024

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started always cutting the film because I observed this discharge about 30 years ago and it would fog the film. Recently, though, I noticed if you peel the tape slowly you can be OK. This pertains to re-spooling 120 to 620 rolls, where you need to release the tape and re-stick it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I started always cutting the film because I observed this discharge about 30 years ago and it would fog the film.
    Interesting as I have never had a problem with this phenomenon fogging my film in any way. I wonder if this is due to your local conditions somehow making it worse.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That however would indicate a static-electricity phenomenon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    I started always cutting the film because I observed this discharge about 30 years ago and it would fog the film. Recently, though, I noticed if you peel the tape slowly you can be OK. This pertains to re-spooling 120 to 620 rolls, where you need to release the tape and re-stick it.
    Could be stress fog too. Take a piece of unexposed film, and put a crease in it. Develop the film. Bet you see some fog along the crease mark.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Could be stress fog too. Take a piece of unexposed film, and put a crease in it. Develop the film. Bet you see some fog along the crease mark.
    I call those artificial moons,happens when I careless or just plane clumsy loading film on the reel .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
    Yank it hard enough and you might give yourself an X-Ray

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/36357

Though admittedly they were cannoning that roll of scotch tape through the machine at quite a rate of knots
    Luckily it only works in a vacuum, or we might be getting cancer.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Cool. I saw this last night too. I went back to check my previously processed rolls of film and sure enough the image of the luminescence (mottled light grey) is clearly visible at the end of a roll of 120 of film (HP5+).

Now if my negative pressure ventilation system approached that of a vacuum, the process would be generating X-rays too ! Huh you say ? Well, check this out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'll second tearing the tape instead of trying to peel it.

Frank thanks for the wiki, I knew it had a name.
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've witnessed this too. I worry about leaving the tape on the film. I've been told that it could loosen and migrate to more important parts of the film, so I just peel slowly.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I take the tape off after I've spooled the film onto the reel. I do this because I don't like the chemicals seeping under the tape and not being fully rinsed out in the last step. My last step is four fill and dumps with progressively more inversions between each f&d. Also I don't like the feel of peeling off soggy tape !

I wonder why peeling off the tape would only emit x-rays in a vacuum and not at atmospheric pressures.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin