Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,475   Online: 1139

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

What the...! Luminous tape on 120 film?

Alright, explain this to me: My technique for developing 120 film is to first roll up the film (away from the backing paper) and then of course peeling off the tape from the film, before spooling it for development.

Today, I took a closer look when peeling the tape (my darkroom is really, really dark - nothing can be seen whatsoever even after 30mins) and, when peeling the tape, it became luminous! As the tape was being pulled off the film, the specific part being separated from the film at that moment emitted a clearly visible glow (similar to static electricity, although not clearly defined spark[s] - just a glow of sorts, I could have sworn it was blue).

Any possible explanation, or has anybody else ever seen this?? Next time, I will try to pay attention as to whether this fogs the film (of course, it would not be a concern, as this is on the un-used edge of the film).

I am flummoxed. I'd love to show you, but I think I'd need a DSLR that goes to ISO 25600 and an f/1.0 lens to capture this. But it's there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Static. It's quite a common occurrence with any tape. I see it all the time In practice it's not a problem because the tape isn't directly adhered to the film. I haven't seen any fogging from it. By the way, you also see this when you open photopaper...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    static electricity --- just like you said.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keith got it first ... static electricity.

Now you can unflummox!

Or is it deflummox?

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But there is also tension-luminescence.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm with AgX on this. It's common, it's normal, it's harmless, but it isn't static.

It is the adhesive in the tape. Some of the energy you put in by peeling it off is released through tension luminescence in the adhesive layer.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yank it hard enough and you might give yourself an X-Ray

http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/36357

Though admittedly they were cannoning that roll of scotch tape through the machine at quite a rate of knots
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philosomatographer View Post
    Alright, explain this to me: My technique for developing 120 film is to first roll up the film (away from the backing paper) and then of course peeling off the tape from the film, before spooling it for development.
    Or you could just fold the tape over the file because there should be no latent image there. Process the film and then just cut off the tape when cutting the negatives.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What they said.

You can just tear the tape at the line between the tape and the paper, but leave the tape on the film. I find the extra stiffness helps a little in getting it on the reel (stainless ones, anyway).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's called triboluminescence. See this wiki
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin