Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,291   Online: 980

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In practice most people use 3ml Rodinal diluted to 300ml with water. It's more about being consistent than literal.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    A standard single roll tank for 35mm uses 250ml or 8 ounces.
    No, the tank you're using may take 250ml but the most common tanks in the UK and many other parts of the world, Paterson, take 275ml per 35mm reel, in practice most people use 300ml of developer.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    A roll of 120 should contain less film than a roll of 135/36, out of the very basic consideration that a roll of 120 costs less .

I use syringes to measure small amount, the simple plastic one-use ones that are sold by the chemist's. I reuse them obviously, but being very cheap, one can afford a different 1 for every chemical you use. Syringes are very clean, you don't spill chemistry easily, not even if you snort while diluting it.

Considering that they are used to dose medicines, I expect the graduation to have "medical" exactitude.

One can use them with the needle on, in this case the syringe can go down in the flask to take the chemical substance, no need to pour it in an intermediate container unless the container is tall.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    According to Steve Anchell, "The Darkroom Cookbook" 3rd edition, using more developer is better than less for higher quality negatives. He recommends a minimum of 250ml (350 ml preferred) per 80 sq. in. of film (one roll of 36-exposure 35mm = one roll of 120 film = four 4"x5" negatives; think of each on an 8"x10" contact sheet). For D-76 this would mean using 250ml of stock solution. For liquid concentrate developers, 250ml would still be the minimum (350ml recommended). Of course, one would have to use oversized tanks (e.g., 16oz steel tank in place of 8oz for single roll of 35mm or 120); trays for LF would not be a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve's right but it's not primarily the volume it's the amount of developing agent(s) required for developing the film itself. Below a certain level which is quite easy to calculate the developer exhausts to a point where development of the highlights slows considerably but shadow details continue to build up, the so called compensating effect.

Now that effect is sometimes used deliberately, what Steve's alluding to is when is done unwittingly and you don't get the contrast range that should be expected.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-28-2011 at 02:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/Rodinal.pdf

One of the latest published Rodinal / R09 one shot instructions by A&O in 2007.
    The MINIMUM amount of Rodinal for each 135-36 or equivalent surface 120 roll film is 10ml for each film.

In practice it will be around 5-6ml for each film. Going under this limit it will depend on the amount Black and White area in your negative so this is not very consistent to do it.
    Further Rodinal is pretty cheap, around Eur. 11,50 for 500ml so why take any risk?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, I'd like to see a standardization of mixing ratio notation. Personally, I find a plus to denote stock to water and a colon to denote stock to final solution to be pretty straightforward.

e.g., 1+24 is one part chemical stock, 24 parts water, and is the same as a 1:25 dilution.

Nevertheless, I see many chemicals listing ratios using colons the same way I use the plus. Just my $0.02...
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1+25 and 1:25 is the same in photographic world

But I agree that the + sign is much more clear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I blame Kodak robert.

When I started bottles said 1:25 and 1+24 which is the same thing. Ok one would be in brackets.

Ilford are the most accurate with their 1+4, 1+7, 1+9 etc, which equate to 1:5, 1:8. 1:10

Agfa used the + sign as :, Kodak used all sorts and inconsistently.

Ian

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin