Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,797   Online: 1001

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by papagene View Post
    Bethe - I had a similar problem a while back with 120 film in stainless reels. The problem was that I was not cleaning my reels after the foto-flo bath, just rinsing them. I got high density areas on the sides of the next set of negs developed.
    The solution was to use an old toothbrush and some Ivory (bar) soap and give the reels a quick cleaning. Never had the problem again.
    YMMV

Good luck.

gene
    Sorry - mine get scrubbed pretty well after each use (it's the labrat in me).

Thanks for all the help, gang!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Is that darker area continuous down the entire roll of film? Your development procedure doesn't seem out of whack although a lengthier time is desirable, IMO. Besides, over-agitation will have the opposite effect on film density... more density in the center.

*** I'll bet you're not fixing the film completely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mention "tipping 90 degrees", this sounds rather gentle. The usual manufacture (er, Kodak) specified agitation for SS is to invert the tank 180 degrees, 1-2 inversions/second, for 5 seconds every thirty seconds, rotating the tank slightly so it is not always inverted in the same direction. I notice Ilford specifies 4 inversions/for 10seconds/every minute.

The 5 minute developing time is rather short and may be contributing to the unevenness.

Some developer/film combinations seem to be more agitation sensitive than others.

I would give a try with D-76 1:1 and a Kodak agitation scheme and see if this gives even negatives. Alternatively, try the Ilfosol at 1:14 with a more vigorous agitation and see if it improves things. Probably a good idea to use test rolls for the experiments - pictures of an evenly lit surface, like a wall in the shade placed on ZVII.

To verify liquid quantity just put an empty reel in an open tank and measure how much liquid is needed to cover the reel(s).
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    35mm
    I believe it is an agitation issue. Your agitation needs to be more vigorous, more random, and use full inversions. You don't have enough, and random enough agitation, the person who said you had too much is wrong. Over agitating will result in increased contrast and density, not what you have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would think it's agitation. I normally do four complete inversions in about 5 seconds each minute (this is with HC-110 1+63 on Acros and others.) And I do 30 seconds worth of inversions with an occasional thunk of the stainless tank on a wood tabletop at the beginning. I also believe I've had more even development since I worked out a developer volume (425 mL here for one 120) to leave about 1/4 inch empty space at the top of the tank. I also rotate the tank a bit in the inverting hand between each inversion to move the rotational axis of the inversion around.

(Gad -- makes it all sound more complicated than it seems when doing it!)

DaveT

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just try re-fixing the film. At least you can rule that out with an existing roll of film... no harm done to new pics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mention "tipping 90 degrees", this sounds rather gentle. The usual manufacture (er, Kodak) specified agitation for SS is to invert the tank 180 degrees, 1-2 inversions/second, for 5 seconds every thirty seconds, rotating the tank slightly so it is not always inverted in the same direction. I notice Ilford specifies 4 inversions/for 10seconds/every minute.

The 5 minute developing time is rather short and may be contributing to the unevenness.
    I do the agitations similar to Jason's video, but definitely not as vigorously as he in the first 30 sec (just watched the video again - thanks Jason). So this is what I'll change first (the chemist in me says to change just one variable at a time).
    The scheme above is what I do, just maybe not rough enough.
    Yes, the 5 minutes seems short, but I've had other good negs from it. It is shorter than the Ilfosol S time. I limit myself to liquid developers as I hate mixing from powders (and have asthma).

Once I get myself off the couch and away from the computer, I'm going to go shoot some gourds with a white background outside (it's a sunny day here). If it works, I'll at least have some shots I can use for handcoloring.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm inclined to agree the problem is that the agitation routine is too gentle.

Only shot two rolls of Acros myself, but using 30 second initial agitation and ~10 seconds every minute thereafter in D76 with full, sometimes pretty rough, inversions and taps yielded me negatives as perfect as I could ask for.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I still suggest you try re-fixing first. It can't hurt.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Remember that rotory processors like a Jobo have very vigourous agitation and they are known for even processing.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin