Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,698   Posts: 1,549,116   Online: 1125

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rodinal stand development technique for multiple rolls

I'm ready to try stand development using information from the threads at APUG. THANKS to all who have contributed!

The recipe I'm going to try involves 35mm Plus X exposed at 125, Rodinal 1:100, 5ml minimum so at least 500cc for 1-2 rolls.

water bath x few minutes
    1 minute slow inversions
    3 good taps
    1 hour stand (no intervening inversions)
    rinse->fix->hypoclear->rinse

If I have 8 rolls of 35mm film, can I use stand development on a Paterson super system 8 reel tank all at once and have even development?

The techniques I've read involved placing the spooled film in the middle of the tank with empty reels below and above the film to be processed with the Rodinal solution diluted to 1:100.

I usually develop 10-15 rolls at a time and with stand development, it would take quite a while to do only 2-3 rolls at a time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Perhaps you should try one roll, and work up from there. [you] Might be wise to try a 'test" roll, rather than fine art roll first. I've seen some excellent work with the method you propose, but it's not easy to repeat others' experiments and obtain the same results.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have done 4-5 rolls at a time with the stand method and think that you could go with a large amount of film with the approriate amount of developer without any problems.

Leo

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post

If I have 8 rolls of 35mm film, can I use stand development on a Paterson super system 8 reel tank all at once and have even development?
    Yes, and I never worry about the 5ml min for smaller numbers, you need an accurate measure though.

I use 1:100 @ 20C 90 mins or more, and Ag film, if I've underexposed or there is that risk or underexposure I do 120 mins, or more.

I give the tank a shake at the beginning and set an alarm to remind me to come back.

Noel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the replies. I will try 1-2 rolls at first, but if it works, I will commit multiple rolls.

Xmas, what film do you use when you stand develop for 90 minutes? Is it Agfa which is currently unavailable? Do you think 90 minutes would be appropriate for Kodak Plus X exposed at 125 as I've read that stand development can actually add 1 stop in film speed. Currently, I rate films such as Neopan 400 and Tri X at 200 to get the skin tones the way I like them.

Here is a link to Rodinal 1:100 stand development at RFF which started my interest. It was recommended development for 59 minutes for most films rated less than 200 ASA.

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=61643

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin