Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,042   Posts: 1,560,803   Online: 1086

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Uniroller for 4x5 and 8x10 film; questions

Hello, I am looking to get a base and drum system for processing my 4x5 and 8x10 black and white film. I am unsure what drum to get that will allow me to do this. I read an artical that recomended a unidrum made for 8x10 prints, but upon further resurch it seems that these drums often have leaking gaskets. I am looking for recomendations on spesific drums that can do what is mentioned above and can change chemestry in daylight. (I plan to get the equipment off of eBay, but I live in NYC so if any one knows some place that has these in the city, let me know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How much do you want to spend?

The Jobo print drums are common and are still sold new. Would be okay for 8x10. The Jobo 2551 tank with the right reel would handle 4x5 and smaller very well on a uniroller.

For more money you could consider a Jobo Expert drum.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The various drums I was seeing on "the bay" were pretty cheap, most under 20 shipped. How much would a Jobo set up like you mentioned run me?
    Last edited by BenZucker; 09-22-2009 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just googles that tank, that's way more than I would want to spend.

Images
    Good Morning, Ben,

I have two Chromega drums, one of which I've used for several decades; neither leaks or has any problems with securing film sheets in place.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Chromega drums

I have both Unicolor and Chromega drums. The gaskets on the Unicolors do leak. The Chromegas have never leaked. A word of caution, be sure that the three rods are in the Chromega drums. They are easily removed for better cleaning and are often missing.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I see, every one thanks for the advice so far, its helpful, keep it coming. Also has any one used Cibachrome print drums in this way? With Cibachrome drums can i change chemistry in daylight?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Also do the besler print processing drums have any parts that I would need to make sure are there? any reason I couldn't use this on a uniroller base?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Mr. Chromega. I prefer it over a Jobo and the leaky Unicolor. I also use the very large Chromega that will accomodate several 8x10's and at least four 4x5's. It works great, also. Don't forget the three grey rods, and the separator gizmo if you go with a Chromega.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yup, the unicolor would be the ribbed print drum to process film.
    for 4x5 you would need a funky rubber thingamabob to keep the film in place
    but for 8x10 you wouldn't need the little thing ...
    the unicolor drums tend to leak a little bit, mine did, until i contacted
    unicolor and they suggested smearing a little vasoline on both the gasket
    and the receiving end of the drum to form a good seal
    now it doesn't leak at all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin