Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,467   Online: 860

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Should I make inversions for the Fixer and the stop bath?

Should I make inversion for the fixer and the stop bath? Or just the developer that needs to be inverted (4 times each minute)??

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format

'inversions'

Yes, it is good to agitate (the usual english term) film and or paper in both the stop bath and the fix. Agitation in film developer needs to be at regular intervals - with some developers more or less than with others - but four inversions per minute sounds like too little to me. Read the directions for the particular developer you are using, they should give you the proper amount of agitation for that developer. With the fixer you should agitate for, perhaps, one minute, then look at the film to see if it has cleared. If not, continue for twice the time it takes for the film to clear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Stop bath? I don't use it,. just rinse my film with water...several refills of the developing tank.
    Fix: I agitate by inversion for 10 seconds every 30 seconds for at least 5 minutes
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    RJS,

The Ilford Delta 100 pdf says:

AGITATION:
    intermittent agitation is recommended for use in spiral tanks and deep tanks. Continuous agitation is recommended in dishes/trays by rocking the dish/tray.
    With spiral tanks, invert the tank four times during the first 10 sec, then invert the tank four times again during the first 10 sec of each further minute.

Now you got me confused!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellipe de Paula View Post
    Should I make inversion for the fixer and the stop bath? Or just the developer that needs to be inverted (4 times each minute)??

Yes.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am not familiar with Ilford's directions for Delta with whichever developer they recommend. I have been using PMK for some time and Gordon Hutchings (sp?) recommends more agitation. With PMK in small tanks I invert 3X every 15 seconds. I get very nice, even development. Whether this would be too much with Delta and some other developer I have no idea. This may be more or less than required for PMK but it seems to work.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my opinion, it's the regularity of inversion which is important rather than the number of inversions.

The agitation is to put fresh developer around the film. If the routine is to do something like eight inversions every minute (which is what I do) most of the work has been done by the first inversion. After three, I doubt if the rest of them actually do much (I still do them though!).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellipe de Paula View Post
    RJS,

The Ilford Delta 100 pdf says:

AGITATION:
    intermittent agitation is recommended for use in spiral tanks and deep tanks. Continuous agitation is recommended in dishes/trays by rocking the dish/tray.
    With spiral tanks, invert the tank four times during the first 10 sec, then invert the tank four times again during the first 10 sec of each further minute.

Now you got me confused!
    If you are using Ilford developer and I do as well then the Ilford recommendation for agitation which you have quoted is the one to use. 4 inversions is about all you can achieve anyway in 10 seconds. It's what I do and I have never experienced any problems with development.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I used D76... should it be done different then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agitation is not as critical for the stop and fix baths as it is with development since both processes are carried out to completion. The stop bath should run about 30 seconds, though it does no harm if it runs longer. I use constant agitation in a tank for that 30 seconds. Fixing can take several minutes. To keep things simple, I use the same agitation technique as I use for development. That's it. It works. No problems.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin