Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,309   Online: 1135

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Oh, no - I'm a Yank. I had plenty of Bulgarian beer while there. The Guinness was for nostalgia. After all, those 250 year anniversaries only come around once!
    Perfect! So, which was the best one?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Do you care to elaborate?
    I'm sorry, did I disturb your thread? I should have noticed your towel on it...

Or in other words, I was of course merely alluding to the (well deserved, in my experience) reputation of German tourists as the most overbearing, arrogant, rude and tight-as-a-gnat's-chuff you're likely to find, and suggesting that people in glass houses might be well advised to lay off the slingshot.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    I'm sorry, did I disturb your thread? I should have noticed your towel on it...

Or in other words, I was of course merely alluding to the (well deserved, in my experience) reputation of German tourists as the most overbearing, arrogant, rude and tight-as-a-gnat's-chuff you're likely to find, and suggesting that people in glass houses might be well advised to lay off the slingshot.
    This reply does not deserve an answer.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps Mr. Walls didn't get his bourbon today.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Gee, I though it was because he was not breast fed!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    This reply does not deserve an answer.
    I'm sorry, was I not replying in the spirit of "Your location tag doesn't reveal it, but whoever goes to Sofia, Bulgaria and is adventureless enough to drink Guinness in the 'Fox and Hound', instead of enjoying the local brews must be a Brit!" or "Yes, you do [...] and the locals hate you for it."

Or maybe sweeping (and inaccurate) generalisations are your exclusive purvey?
    Last edited by tim_walls; 09-28-2009 at 04:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnywalker View Post
    Indeed. On my last trip to central Europe to rape and pillage the cheap off-licences in the style of Attilla the Hun* the blighters didn't have a decent bourbon to be found.

Obviously I felt obliged to make my disapproval known by drinking a gallon of cheap lager and starting a fight. That'll teach Johnny Foreigner!

* Oops, Attilla the Hun? Shurely Shome Mishtake. I'm sure he in fact behaved impeccably on his European travels, pausing only to steal from the tips tray as he visited the cultural sights of Europe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    You are right, my generalization was inappropriate. It was based on numerous experiences, but still an unjustified generalization. My apologies!

However, I stand behind the main purpose of the message:
    'When in Rome, do as the Romans do!

Unfortunately, you raised the level by a few notches with your insulting response, '... German tourists (are) the most overbearing, arrogant, rude and tight-as-a-gnat's-chuff you're likely to find ...'

Two wrongs don't make a right, you know?

I suggest, we agree to the fact that nobody can be proud of their poorly-behaving countrymen, which includes towel-throwing beach invaders as well as violence-glorifying football hooligans, from whatever country they may be.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Re: Good news, bad news...

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht
    You are right, my generalization was inappropriate. It was based on numerous experiences, but still an unjustified generalization. My apologies!

However, I stand behind the main purpose of the message:
    'When in Rome, do as the Romans do!

Unfortunately, you raised the level by a few notches with your insulting response, '... German tourists (are) the most overbearing, arrogant, rude and tight-as-a-gnat's-chuff you're likely to find ...'

Two wrongs don't make a right, you know?

I suggest, we agree to the fact that nobody can be proud of their poorly-behaving countrymen, which includes towel-throwing beach invaders as well as violence-glorifying football hooligans, from whatever country they may be.
    I'll drink to that

Actually, and I say this with entente cordiale notvab attempt to argue, you do touch on one of my perpetual bugbears - football hooliganism. As a football fan of around 20 years, and a supporter (I.e. attends matches) of around 16 years, I can say categorically that as much as we have an utterly disgraceful history, the behaviour today of - say - Italian football supporters would be completely unthinkable in England. While the Italians are stabbing each other outside the ground as a matter of course, and throwing missiles inside it, and the Spanish suporters are being openly racist without punishment, English supporters are still paying the price for 20 year old crimes. And to be honest, I don't mind the latter part of that equation - we should be held to account for our own appalling history - but I do object to it being used as a cloak of invlunerability to addressing problems elsewhere. "We're not English so we don't have a problem" is a lazy and dishonest attitude.

If you're ever in London when my team - Chelsea - play our nearest rivals Arsenal (sorry Spurs & Fulham fans ,) I would be more than happy to take you to the game, and I know we will have a perfectly enjoyable and safe time. When I was in Rome and they were playing Lazio, the police were closing restaurants and advising people to go home for their own safety...

(The invite to a game at The Bridge is an open and sincere one BTW .)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Re: Good news, bad news...

(forgive typos above by the way - typing on iPhone and don't think this Tapatalk thingy lets you edit)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin