Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,941   Posts: 1,557,562   Online: 1105

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I had to be thrifty, I'd look closely at Ansco 130 (PF 130). I mix a liter according to formula, then dilute it 50/50 and pour into two bottles. The first bottle I use for developer, returning the developer to the bottle at the end of the session, and then I top off the first bottle from the second. When the second bottle is empty, I mix new developer. With this method, I've used the same batch for well more than a year.

With anything else, I'd premix only what I thought I would use. As Ian says, reusing most developers is false economy.

juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agree, if the prints matter then developer is cheap part of the process.

I usually do proofs and contacts over a course of days (damn day job always getting in the way). This may sound counter-intuitive, but pouring developer in and out of bottles and trays is not the best way to extend tray life. Oxygen is the enemy, and each transfer introduces massive amounts of oxygen over a massive surface area (essentially, mixing the oxygen in). A tray with plastic in contact with the surface of the developer, pressed to the edges is exposed to very little O2.

Storing the developer this way (dektol) I can use the same tray for a week, and it's always active when I dump it. I don't see any difference on day 7 from day 1. Disclaimer: RC papers, not fiber.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm with Ian on the fresh developer, too much time and other costs (like paper) to reuse it. I mix what I think I'll need and dump it. If I was printing commercial, every day, not concerned about repeating a print months later, same VC filtration, split filter balance, etc., I might consider tracking print count and re-using, but I've never been in that situation, except when someone else took care of the chems, and in that case there were three of us using them.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    If you're making prints for exhibition, sale etc then it's false economy to re-use developer.

I use less volume if I know I'm only printing a few images.

Ian
    Are you doing this every day? Anyways, I'm on Dektol 1+2 that I've been using for around 3 printing sessions this week. ~1500ml total WS volume, mainly 5x7s. Just made some 120 contacts on 8x10 RC and hit black without issue. Solution is heavily yellow colored.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Are you doing this every day? Anyways, I'm on Dektol 1+2 that I've been using for around 3 printing sessions this week. ~1500ml total WS volume, mainly 5x7s. Just made some 120 contacts on 8x10 RC and hit black without issue. Solution is heavily yellow colored.
    I don't think you can't get true black with old developer, from my (limited) tests, you get a bit softer contrast. I exposed the same kind of paper, with the same filter, and used old and freshly mixed Ilford MG developer. The only (slight) difference was the contrast. Old developer was mixed 10 days earlier and kept in plastic bottles, tightly capped.

On the other hand, if you're an artist who prints for exhibitions, or make prints for clients, there's no reason not to use fresh chemicals...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    When I'm printing yes, sometimes I might make up more fresh dev in a session. A huge difference is I only print on Fibre Based papers, developer exhausts it doesn't last.

Personally I wouldn't dream of the false economies of trying to save developer until the next day, a batch of 1-2 litres of working strength developer is a fraction of the cost of a single sheet of paper. You need to put this into perspective.

Maybe you can get good blacks with 3 day old Dektol, I'm more concerned with getting consistency particularly of the full range of tones between and that just isn't going to happen with a warm tone paper in old developer.

Ian

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, at a rate of 6.6USD for Dektol powder, expanded out into working solution, that's ~12000ml or basically 1.1$ for 2000ml of WS. The >1$/sheet comes at around 11x14. I'm not printing 11x14 every printing session. In fact I'm not even printing 8x10 every printing session. Some of us aren't making "gallery" or "exhibit" prints every session - we're just printing with the target of decent prints - not an aura of "fine art." There's not enough hours in the day. In that case I don't see what the big deal is about re-using Dektol from a previous day when it's a waste to just chuck it.

This is where I'm going to argue that it's not really a false economy. But sure, if you're doing 11x14 and above for *every sheet* of paper you print, I can understand your desire to always use completely fresh developer for consistent results.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin