Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,531   Posts: 1,572,602   Online: 1135

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Homogeneous Powdered Cemistry

We have been informed many, many times on APUG not to try and make up partial batches of powdered chemistry, as the various components can separate during storage.

So I am curiously wondering, how to Kodak/Ilford/..….. keep their large batches of powdered chemistry homogeneous in the manufacturing and packaging processes?

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Special hardware, Kodak mix and package powdered chems in an inert atmosphere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak makes the several encapsulated parts in individual reactors and these individual parts are each dispensed into the bag or packet before sealing it. If three parts are needed, then 3 different types of encapsulated matrials are dispensed into a bag and therefore, at the beginning, the bag is not uniform as Kodak expects that the entire bag is to be used at once. It also keeps the particles separate before they need to be mixed together and limits contact beforehand. This prevents cracking of the capsules because that premix would have to be continually stirred and this mechanical action would / could wear away the protection layers.

Some chemicals are not encapsulated and some are and this method also serves to isolate them before packing in the bag under inert gas.

If you refer to comments on APUG about this warning, you must be aware that at least one of them from time-to-time referres back to the Kodak web site where this warning appears quite clearly in a section on dry chemistry.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE,

Are you able to gvive more informations on this encapsulting of photographic chemicals?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've posted as much as I can elsewhere.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    We have been informed many, many times on APUG not to try and make up partial batches of powdered chemistry, as the various components can separate during storage.

So I am curiously wondering, how to Kodak/Ilford/..….. keep their large batches of powdered chemistry homogeneous in the manufacturing and packaging processes?

Martin
    Depending on which developer(s) you are using Martin, it might be worth considering making your own developers from raw components from Silverprint. That way, you can make up as little stock solution as required.
    I often make just 500ml of stock D-76/ID-11 for films and D-72 for B&W papers at a time.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    PE,
    Are you able to gvive more informations on this encapsulating of photographic chemicals?
    Well, I found this:

http://www.apug.org/forums/820652-post5.html

http://www.apug.org/forums/528886-post4.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And that is about all I can say about the process. IDK very much more. I just feel that it is not necessary to keep reposting the same things over and over. Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    PE - thanks

Where would APUG be without you

Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Depending on which developer(s) you are using Martin, it might be worth considering making your own developers from raw components from Silverprint. That way, you can make up as little stock solution as required.
    I often make just 500ml of stock D-76/ID-11 for films and D-72 for B&W papers at a time.
    Keith, your right and I have considered it.

I bought "The Darkroom Cookbook" with half a mind to try making some for myself; however, I have yet to succumb to that particular sirens call

Martin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin