Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,430   Online: 1168

Shooter
    Medium Format

stand development: plastic or stainless steel reels?

I am going to try stand development with Acros or Plus X using either Rodinal 1:100 for 1 hour or 1:200 for 2 hours. Is there any difference with using plastic Patterson type reels or stainless steel reels?

I've read that the plastic reels do not allow the developer to circulate as much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as ease of use:

Plastic reels can be easier to learn to load the film until or if the ball bearings get worn or lost or if the reel tracks get sticky. Then they are the pits getting them to work correctly.

Good steel reels [Read: Hewes reels] last forever, are much more robust than plastic or most other steel reels, but take more work and daylight practice to get through the learning curve.

That said, I do not have experience in the type of development you are considering and on that I will not comment about plastic versus steel.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin