Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,485   Online: 1006

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

APX + Rodinal: Exit Color

I've noticed that whenever I process APX in Rodinal, be it 100 or 400, I get a very dense eggplant colored solution when I dump it out. This is not new news by any matter and it doesn't concern me. But the reason I throw it out there is that I noticed I rarely get this level of purple/pink/etc. with APX and other developers. I can't remember D-76 nor XTOL ever giving me the same overall purple vibe even after fixing, washing, etc. - and dev solution is always clear/yellow-tinge. Even during each wash cycle I do not get an overall purple tinge to the dump water either.

Is there something specific about the anti-halation layer of APX that specifically reacts with Rodinal to effectively dissolve it in just the dev? Or are we just dealing with Rodinal's propensity for surprising colors after the dev cycle?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0669.jpg  
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    I've noticed this with any film that I've developed in Rodinal. The stronger the developer, the stronger the color.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    I've noticed this with any film that I've developed in Rodinal. The stronger the developer, the stronger the color.
    See, that's just the thing. I don't notice it with every film with Rodinal. In fact I just recently processed some SS and Acros and can't remember anything but a clear wash. Negs were fine and developed fully. 1+50.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it is the film, rather than the developer. I notice the same red colour (not as distinct as yours) when developing APX100 in Rodinal. FP4+ in Rodinal turned (if I remember correctly) the develper brown/red, and Fomapan 100 in 120 format went blue! A bit odd, since Fomapan 100 in 135 format does not colour the developer. Guess there was some residue left from the tape or backing paper on the 120 roll.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    See, that's just the thing. I don't notice it with every film with Rodinal. In fact I just recently processed some SS and Acros and can't remember anything but a clear wash. Negs were fine and developed fully. 1+50.
    Really? I've developed and have seen others develop quite a lot of films in Rodinal, but nothing from Fuji. Everything turned used developer from magenta to purple. I can remember TriX, HP5+, Delta 100, APX100, TMX and there could be more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak films and Agfa films turm Rodinal purple for me, but not Ilford films or Fuji Acros.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin