Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,254   Online: 767

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Storing developer in small bottles?

Just curious if this is a good practice... Make 1L and divide the working solution in smaller bottles..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Be careful with the type of bottles. Some plastics tend to breathe and developer can go off. The types used by the major manufacturers are high density and no problem.

Brown glass is the best.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I know Ian, but intead of storing the working solution in 1L bottles store this 1L into small bottles...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Best of all is to store in filled small glass bottles containing only the developer you use in one session. I use 8 oz. (~240mL) bottles that hold enough stock Xtol for 2 rolls or D76 for one roll in the Jobo.

You want to avoid having half filled bottles sitting around oxidizing.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use 2 liter & 1 liter soda bottles.

Plastic doesn't interfere with the chemicals.

Cap seals up real well.

I've got stock solution developers over 1 yr. old and still works fine.

Stop bath seems to last a real long time....several yrs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with Mike. To actually give you an answer to the question you asked, yes - mix up a litre and store in smaller bottles that contain the right amount to use to develop one tank's worth of film. In my circumstances I mix up a litre of D76 and store it in 4x 250ml bottles. Each bottle then gives me exactly the right amount to make up 500mls of working solution to develop one roll of 120 film. I can then use just that one bottle, leaving the other three unopened and sealed until they're required. The alternative would be to leave a 1 litre bottle containing 750mls of developer and 250mls of air, encouraging oxidization.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes , over many years I have mixed up 5 Lt. D-76 and filled one large 3Lt brown Screw top Bottle and the remainder goes into Brown screw top cough balsalm bottles ( 210ml. when filled to brim ). I always develop Tri-X 1+1 and my SS tank fills at 400Mls .I use this mix up in about 8 to 10 months, [B][B][U]I have never had a problem.[B][B][U]cheers Barrie B.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What about those collapsible bottles?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellipe de Paula View Post
    What about those collapsible bottles?
    They aren't always as good as they first seem, they are harder to clean out, may not seal properly.

I wouldn't recommend for long time storage, but for a month or so they are fine.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the bottles the (liquid) chemicals originally came in. In my case I don't split the mix - I just use a wine pump to remove the excess air as I use the mix. Has worked great so far.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin