Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,256   Online: 1125

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: XTOL patented?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Mytol has been suggested as a good substitute for Xtol. Does anyone know if it would be possible to mix Mytol in TEA in a very concentrated form that cold be diluted 1:50 or so?

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Mytol has been suggested as a good substitute for Xtol. Does anyone know if it would be possible to mix Mytol in TEA in a very concentrated form that cold be diluted 1:50 or so?

Sandy King
    Something like this?

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...tml#post393144

Lee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    Really? Where? I want one.
    Try http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/
    This is not the one who claims a patent, btw. in fact he seems very open to sharing his solutions.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

Sandy King
    I think you would have to keep the sulfite in a separate solution. It is not soluble enough in TEA to give you the concentration that Mytol has in the working solution. You could keep the sulfite as a separate solution, but you could do that with PC-TEA. In fact, anyone who wants to see if sulfite is really needed should try adding sulfite to a working solution of PC-TEA.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is exactly why Kodak went with the TEA.SO2 adduct and patented it. It allows very great concentration of ingredients.

PE

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    This is exactly why Kodak went with the TEA.SO2 adduct and patented it. It allows very great concentration of ingredients.

PE
    I have seen the DEA version in the list of HC-110 ingredients.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DEA is considered a contaminant in TEA, and is not entirely desired in developers due to its great solvent effect on silver halide.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DEA in HC110 is only there only as a trace 50-55%

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was taking my impressions from work we did and that is probably in Haist an A&T. DEA is considered a contaminant in commercial TEA. The reason is that it is a variable impurity in TEA which causes variable pH and variable solvent effects. If it can be controlled, I would guess it would be a good solvent and work well, but i remain on the fence about this as an effective method for us as we cannot control DEA/TEA mixtures except by analysis.

I have TEA samples that vary from solid at 20 deg C and slightly yellow in color to totally clear and liquid at the same temp. AAMOF, I have 1 KG of each type sitting side by side on my DR shelf right now. This is the normal limit in variability of commercial photo grade TEA. Kodak apparently analyzes their TEA for DEA content and then dilutes it with DEA to obtain a constant value. In spite of the differences in my 2 samples, I have seen little difference in activity in most formulas although one test I ran showed a considerable difference in pH with a certain developer recently posted on APUG. These were not tested beyond rough imaging and pH, so I can't comment on image quality.

PE

Images
    The 99% grade of TEA, according to DOW, freezes at 15.8 C, (60.4 F) while the Commercial grade freezes at 21.8 C. (70.9 F). The pH of the commercial grade is somewhat higher at any solution strength. As you said, the 1% impurity is probably mostly DEA. www.DOW.com is the place to go for complete stats for MEA, DEA and TEA. We can purchase TEA at www.chemistry.com.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin