Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,195   Online: 1156

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Adding effects during print process

A very long while ago, I read something about people that use certain fluids to achieve certain effects in their prints. One example was to add coffee to one of the baths (developer/fixer/stop bath? probably not the developer) to get this Sepia toned print.

I was wondering if you every heard of this, if so, what do you add to a bath to get this special effect?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Weak tea was often used, coffee would need to be extremely weak - you do it after fixing and washing. It needs care to make sure it's not uneven.

This way you can imitate the ivory cloured base of older discontinued papers. Works best with a warmtoned or slightly sepai toned image.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Careful, guys... too much manipulation and you'll be tempted to the dark side of (*gasp*) digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Careful, guys... too much manipulation and you'll be tempted to the dark side of (*gasp*) digital.
    Been there for many years Just prefer the right side

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Shhh.... must keep that kind of talk to a whisper... there are analog ears here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another method is to flash your print while in the developer to get the Sabattier effect. This can be quite spectacular, especially in color. There are at least 3 text books on this subject, one published by EK.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Another method is to flash your print while in the developer to get the Sabattier effect. This can be quite spectacular, especially in color. There are at least 3 text books on this subject, one published by EK.

PE
    Interesting, I've never heard of this before

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    By any chance, do you know the name of the book published by EK? This sounds pretty cool. I might want to give it a try some time
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also use a small LED flashlight around the outer edges of the print while it's in the developer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img317boat sm-2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is "Creative Darkroom Techniques".

Here is an example of cross processing and Sabattier effect combined.

The left picture is the print from cross processed EPP and the right picture is a print that has been flashed in the color developer.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flower trio 1.jpg   flower trio 2.jpg  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin