Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,578   Online: 983

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DimDim View Post
    Hi,
    Yesterday I checked the state of my chemicals supply and most of my (glass) bottles have quite some stains inside.
    So I wondered if there is an efficient way to get rid of that dirt...
    Any (chemical) suggestions?
    A couple of tablespoons of "sodium carbonate" (aka soda ash or washing soda) in a gallon of very hot water; fill your bottles and let stand overnight. Should do the trick. Howard Tanger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another idea.....

I use mt 2 liter and 1 liter soda bottles.

I've found the chems. don't react with the plastic.

The cap seals real well which allows for a fairly long life. I have 2 yr. old stock ID-11 that still works just fine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Gee, I guess I'm a little extreme!
    I use Muriatic acid (HCL) when I need it really clean. Outdoors of course and with Personal Protective Equipment.

In fact I have a bottle used just for cleaning. I keep reusing it.
    Last edited by tim_bessell; 10-08-2009 at 01:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added last sentence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the hints. I will combine them according to to the state of the bottles.
    Also my home made reversal bleach kept the bottles clean after all those years. Perhaps I can reshuffle that into the dirty ones.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've often wondered if it matters whether or not the storage containers are really clean. If you're re-using them for the same chemistry (i.e. fixer, developer etc - not necessarily the same brand) how much will residual stains, (after a good soak and rinse, of course) affect the new batch? My gut tells me that any effects would likely be so minimal that they'd be hard to see in a final print. Having said that, I'm no chemist - as I have proven countless times on APUG !!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably true, but you'd be amazed what piles you can gather in about five years :-)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    I've often wondered if it matters whether or not the storage containers are really clean. If you're re-using them for the same chemistry (i.e. fixer, developer etc - not necessarily the same brand) how much will residual stains, (after a good soak and rinse, of course) affect the new batch? My gut tells me that any effects would likely be so minimal that they'd be hard to see in a final print. Having said that, I'm no chemist - as I have proven countless times on APUG !!!

Bob H
    The other issue of course, I can use chemical X to remove any possible stain, the question is, does chemical X leave any invisible trace behind, and does that affect the chemicals that will be stored in the bottle.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wogster View Post
    The other issue of course, I can use chemical X to remove any possible stain, the question is, does chemical X leave any invisible trace behind, and does that affect the chemicals that will be stored in the bottle.
    You're absolutely right Paul. I usually wipe down the darkroom counters with dilute bleach after a session and often wonder if it's all cleared after I rinse them off. Who the hell knows ?? In the end you do what you think is best and don't lose any sleep over it. There's enough important things for that !!!!!

Bob H

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, heres the fix for your bottles--Efferdent. Just drop one or two tabs into the bottle with water and let it set over night. Next day, give a rinse in very hot water. This will disolve nearly anything you can think of, including tar.

Rick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Okay, heres the fix for your bottles--Efferdent. Just drop one or two tabs into the bottle with water and let it set over night. Next day, give a rinse in very hot water. This will disolve nearly anything you can think of, including tar.

Rick
    And just how will I clean my teeth

Bob H

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin