Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,710   Online: 801

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Cleaning storage bottles

Hi,

It's more then 4 years ago since I introduced myself in this post.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum53/1...s-belgium.html
    The photography time stopped in between and went to renovating our house and getting 2 cute children but I'm up and running again, new darkroom operational including a small still life studio corner for my Linhof.
    Yesterday I checked the state of my chemicals supply and most of my (glass) bottles have quite some stains inside.
    So I wondered if there is an efficient way to get rid of that dirt. I figured that shaking them with a water and sand mixture might remove a lot but it's risky if a grain would remain in there and end up in my film tank.

Any (chemical) suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A long soak with household bleach, otherwise a scrub with a bottle brush.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sometimes they cannot be removed, it all depends on what caused them to form. I've used Bob's method above with moderately good success, but some used glass bottles have ended up in the recycling bin because of persistent stains...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A chemist I used to know cleaned the urn from the coffee maker in the lab with acetic acid, overnight soak. I don't know the dilution, but the urn was spotless in the morning. He said it was a great cleaner.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DimDim View Post
    Hi,

It's more then 4 years ago since I introduced myself in this post.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum53/1...s-belgium.html
    The photography time stopped in between and went to renovating our house and getting 2 cute children but I'm up and running again, new darkroom operational including a small still life studio corner for my Linhof.
    Yesterday I checked the state of my chemicals supply and most of my (glass) bottles have quite some stains inside.
    So I wondered if there is an efficient way to get rid of that dirt. I figured that shaking them with a water and sand mixture might remove a lot but it's risky if a grain would remain in there and end up in my film tank.

Any (chemical) suggestions?
    Instead of sand, the old guys I knew used a packet or two of BBs. For myself, I use the gravel made for aquarium bottoms.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You could also try a product called Photofinish Soft made bt Marblehead Labs of Falmouth, MA. It is a thick blue colored
    paste that you put in a bottle and mix with water. Let sit , usually over night and rinse. Use it for everything in the darkroom works great. On hard stains it may take more then one application.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not so enviromentally friendly. Wear the right PPE, and add 2/3 full bottle worth of hot water. Add 10-15mL of galcial sulfuric acid, and loosely fit the cap. Agitate over a sink while holding with nitrile gloves.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rubbing alcohol works pretty well for the tar from RA-4 developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many good suggestions; I will add another. I have let the bottles soak overnight in water and common dishwashing soap; I then scrubbed them with baking soda and a wire brush; I've also used household powder cleaners with success.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    Many good suggestions; I will add another. I have let the bottles soak overnight in water and common dishwashing soap; I then scrubbed them with baking soda and a wire brush; I've also used household powder cleaners with success.
    This has generally worked for me, too. If this doesn't do it, I trash the bottle. As you said, better safe than specks of whatever on the film.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin