Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,478   Posts: 1,571,036   Online: 1045

Shooter
    Medium Format

Efke 25 with Rodinal

Hi, 1st time posting! =)
    Thought I would ask for some advice with a school project I am doing.
    Tonight I will be shooting a still life using Efke 25 120 and processing it in Rodinal (1+50). This is my first time using Efke 25. Wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions to share when processing.
    I plan on processing two rolls of 120 in a tank.

Cheers!

Shawn R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Shawn,
    At the risk of bringing down the wrath of others, use standard ASA agitation. Thirty seconds constant, gentle at first, then five seconds on each thirty. I still have my official AGFA instructions for Rodinal which give that regimen.
    Also, since EFKE 25, builds up contrast quickly, I, myself, would opt for 1:75 or 1:85 unless your lighting is very flat.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bracket.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had success with developing Efke 25 in Rodinal at 1+50 for 5 mins at 18C. If your images are really critical, though, probably best to shoot a test roll first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These films were all flat for me the first time (following manufacturer's recommended times). They needed more development by a good 25%. I would recommend that you overexpose a little bit on some shots and shoot some normal. Personally, I would shoot two identical rolls, each shot bracketed from normal to over one stop (in half or third stops). I would process and proof one on your paper and contrast grade of choice, and use the results to decide what to do with the other roll. If in doubt, err on the side of a flat negative versus a contrasty one, so despite my experience with these films needing more development than recommended, I might recommend to just use manufacturer's recommended times the first time and just see what happens.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great!
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I shoot a lot of Efke 25, shoot it at 25, and develop it in Rodinal. I've done 1:25, 1:50, and 1:100. For the first two I went by the Massive Dev chart, doing inversions every minute. For the last I inverted for two minutes and let stand for 90. I think that the results are great with all three.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin