Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,045   Online: 754

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Usually a #8 yellow, maybe a #12 yellow, occasionally a "light" red (B&W equivalent of a 23A as opposed to #25), maybe a light yellow-green (#11 equivalent). Polarizer alone or in combination with the others depending on the situation. I keep a 3-stop ND filter in my kit for the occasional time when I want to drag the exposure a bit. Would like a heavier ND, say 10 stops, for really dragging water or giving water some softer effect in broad daylight. I've found my taste in sky filtration to have lightened a bit over time. I think the haze of distance is a good thing in many instances.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yellow #s 8 and 12. I went through a phase were I used a 23A or #25 red for the skies in some shots but I rarely use them now unless I specifically am shooting only cloud formations.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    K2
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Wallace View Post
    Johnny, as one Canadian to another, tell me more about yellow filters and snow (not yellow snow - I know enough not to eat it). I can't seem to get snow right, especially on overcast days.
    Don, I read somewhere that a yellow filter will help differentiate the faint shadows in snow. I tried it and it seems to work so I leave the yellow filter on as a standard filter most of the winter. I'm not sure how well it would work on completely shadowless days. And, it makes the yellow snow disappear!
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The yellow filter works because the snow is reflecting a lot of blue light.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Rather because the shadows reflect mainly blue sky light, while the rest reflects everything.

I don't use filters much, but when it's mostly yellow or orange, or yellow-green.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a polariser and a red filter mainly, sometimes I use them together with often fab dramatic results

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    This is my experience too. Sometimes neutral density filters also
    Instead of buying neutral density filters, I just put on another film back with slower film.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Instead of buying neutral density filters, I just put on another film back with slower film.

Steve
    That's good until you want something 3 stops slower than Delta 100 (or PanF)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin