Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,909   Online: 1076

Shooter
    35mm

Question about Tmax 400

Kodak says that Tmax 400 can be pushed one stop without addtional developing time. So I can shoot half the roll in 400 and the rest in 800 iso and it gets developed fine? no? Thanks for reading

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't done it personally (yet) but I believe I have heard the same. Push processing (especially if processing yourself) is not hard.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you will be able to see that your asa800 exposures
    will look a little "thinner" than the asa400 exposures
    but you should be ok ..

have fun !
    john
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you both very much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You lose some shadow detail if you underexpose the film by one stop, which is what you're doing if you shoot it at EI 800. The contrast between the middle values is still pretty good though because the film has a short toe and a relatively long straight line middle section to the characteristic curve.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Honestly, if you underexpose by one stop, it's no big whoop to add an extra 36" (HC110 DilB) to your dev time.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 10-13-2009 at 10:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

First, pushing is altering development to increase contrast. How you rate your film does not determine whether or not you are pushing. This only determines how you are exposing. Pushing refers to a development technique, not to a film rating. You cannot technically push without, er....pushing!

So, what Kodak is saying is simply that the film can easily survive one stop of underexposure without being pushed.

FWIW, most black and white films can do this as well. T-Max simply handles it a little better due to its inherently near-linear response to light. For my personal shooting, I think of T-Max as having a lot of the same uses as digital: Low contrast and/or low light scenes, where underexposure (often extreme underexposure) is unavoidable. This is where digital and T-Max really work best for what I shoot. (Of course, T-Max is more flexible and has more latitude, as does negative film in general, IMO.)

Your roll should be fine. I would not push it. It is more likely that you will make the shots at 400 harder to print by pushing than it would be to print the underexposed shots at 800, even with normal development. This is because it is generally easier and more "natural" looking to add contrast to a print using simple printing methods (such as contrast filters) than it is to lower contrast with the same methods.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 10-13-2009 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin