Switch to English Language Passer en langue franηaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,381   Online: 966

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

jdef,
    let me clarify. I was recommending Brian try Pyrocat HD not to boost contrast but as better suited to rotary development. Rollo Pyro, despite it's name, often gave me streaks in my negs in a Jobo, pyrocat never has.

I think my exposure technique, i.e., expose at 1/2 manufacturer's ISO and place shadows on Zone IV, is more than generous. I believe you can always "throw away" shadow detail when you print but you can never get it back if you under expose.

Take care,
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    http://www.photoformulary.com/DesktopModules/StoreProductDetails.aspx?productID=92&tabid=9&tabi ndex=2&categoryid=31&selection=0&langId=0

ABC Pyro Plus appears to be the formula developed by Harald Leban and first introduced by him as ABC+, without Pyro in the term. It was later made available in kit form by Bostick and Sullivan as Rollo Pyro, after considerable testing by Carl Weese, which he describes in the book The New Platinum Print which he wrote with Richard Sullivan of Bostick and Sullivan. My personal opinion is that the name given the formula by Formulary is confusing because in fact what they sell as ABC Pyro Plus is the same as Rollo Pyro, and these are very different formulas from what most of us know as ABC Pyro (really the old Kodak D-1 formula).

In any event Leban himself posted the formula on the web some years ago, and I have posted it a time or two myself. In the hope of clearing up some of the confusion that exists about these formulas I am going to post it here again, together with some notes taken from a manuscript on which I am currently working.

ABC+

Stock Solution A
    Distilled water . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 800 ml
    Metol . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 g
    Sodium Bisulfite*. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 20 g
    Pyrogallol . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 150 g
    Ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 g
    EDTA - Na4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.5 g
    Potassium Bromide ………………………1.5 g
    Distilled Water to. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1000 ml

Stock Solution B
    Distilled water . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 800 ml
    Sodium Metaborate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ...300 g
    Distilled Water to …………………… 1000 ml

For use: The standard dilution is 2:4:100. ABC+ was designed as a substitute for PMK with rotary processing and is said to provide even development with tube processors running at 25 rpm.

Characteristics: With a working solution that consists of a whopping 7.5 g of reducer per liter of working solution Rollo Pyro falls well outside of the range generally associated with high definition developers. Rolo Pyro is a very high energy developer that provides virtually no compensation, and very little if any enhanced sharpness through the development of adjacency effects. However, most films developed in Rollo Pyro develop a high level of image stain which serves to minimize graininess.

Compare the formula of this developer, what you may call it, and you will see that it is much different from the original ABC Pyro and will not give the same results.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    My point regarding switching to Pyrocat, for whatever reason, was that it might further reduce negative contrast from what you've been getting with Rollo Pyro, or ABC Pyro+, or whatever it might be called. All of my comments were meant to be helpful, not critical or contentious. I'm sorry if it appeared otherwise.
    Just for further clarification, ABC Pyro at the 1:1:1:7 dilution gives more contrast for a given time of development than eiher Rollo Pyro or Pyrocat-HD at the recommended dilutions.

Rollo Pyro at 2:4:100 and Pyrocat-HD at 2:2:100 give virtually idential contrast for the same time of development with all of the films I have tested.

Sandy King

Images
    I did my first rollo pyro test last night. I had shot a 24 exposure roll of Tri-x rated at 200. As an aside, it was fun to go out and shoot 35mm again after playing with 8x10 & 4x5 for the past 8-10 months!

I processed the film in a unicolor film drum with an extra empty reel. 500ml of solution. 7 mins at 72 degrees.

The negs look like nothing I have ever seen. They look like they will easily print at gr 2-3. I plan on making some test prints soon. I am also having a couple of the negs scanned and will post the results as well.

I chose to error on the side of caution (probably a bit overkill since I was using a liquid kit) and wore goggles, a mask, and latex gloves while processing. And washed the entire darkroom down afterwards.

I’ll post in this thread when I upload the scans.
    hi!

Images
    I have just posted a couple of negative scans from the TX400 / rollo pyro test I did the other night. one in the technical gallery, the other in the standard gallery.
    hi!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin