Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,712   Online: 928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Images
    I'm about to start my development / exposure tests for hp5 in rollo pyro in my unicolor rig. Can anyone suggest a starting development time?

As far as exposure, I typically spot meter the darkest area of the scene that I want detail with my meter set to 1/2 the manufacturers film speed. This is for development in traditional soup (d76, hc110, rodinal, etc) should I do the same with the rollo?
    hi!

Develop times for all films in CM Pyro is 7mins, in Fimplus PMK Pyro 13mins for HP5+ RATED AT 320 ISO

Brian,
    Did you buy your Rollo Pyro from Bostick and Sullivan? When I got mine about 2years ago now, they included a green sheet of instructions. I recall they recommended 8min at 68F in a Jobo. This time seemed about right. the negs were a bit flat but that's always been my impression of HP5...

In terms of metering, I do the same - 1/2 the ISO for my EI and place important shadow on zone IV...

Take care,
    Tom

Images
    I did get it from bostic and sullivan, it includes mixing instructions, but not dev times...

It's interesting to see that we share the same opinion of HP5. I was hoping that this new soup would give it some more punch.
    hi!

I hate HP5. Try Tri-x in Rollo pyro 6min at 70F for old tri-x; 7 min at 70F in new tri-x.

Or, consider Pyrocat HD; the best pyro developer I ever used in my Jobo about the same development times for me at 2:2:100. No streaking, which I've gotten with Rollo Pyro.

Images
    Thanks for the info Tom, I actually have a box of 25 "new" 320txp tri-x on my shelf, so will test that with your times as well. I plan on trying out pyrocat as soon as I find a kit in liquid form.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    Contrary to the experiences of others, I get PLENTY of contrast with HP5+ and ABC pyro, and I shoot mostly in very flat light. The print I included in the first round of the travelling portfolio was shot on HP5+ and developed in ABC pyro. Did you see it? If so, did it look flat to you? It was too contrasty for the Fomatone even at grade 00. Also, according to Sandy King, if your not getting enough contrast with ABC Pyro, Pyrocat is not the way you want to go, but just the opposite. He recommends ABC for getting more contrast than you can get with Pyrocat. Of course that's a simplification, but the basis is accurate. In my reading of the two metering techniques above, it seems to me that Brian is giving his film one stop more exposure than Tom. If Brian rates his film at 1/2 box speed, meters the darkest part with detail, and uses that as his exposure value, he's placing his shadows on zone V, right? Tom places his metered value one stop lower at zone IV, giving him one stop less exposure, right? Tom, if your negs seemed a bit flat, why would you think that your development time was right? I don't mean to be contentious, I'm just curious why my results with HP5+ and ABC pyro seem to be so different from others.
    Jeff,

I guess that you are one of the very few that I have encountered that relate that HP5 is a film that is capable of high DRs sufficient for expansion with Azo, Pt-pd and other alternative processes. I don't know what experience you have had with negatives that you have exposed, developed and printed to a high DR. I am talking of density ranges above 1.50 (High density minus low density...not minus film base plus fog).

Having had a fair amount of experience with ABC, I would not recommend it to anyone as a developer of choice when one is developing negatives for enlarging. That is unless you want tons of humungous clumps of grain. The grain that I mention is apparent when one enlarges 200 asa 4X5 negs to anything larger then 8X10 prints on a condensor enlarger. Perhaps a diffusion light source would allow a slight amount of enlargement increase over condensor.

HP5 is typically known among photographers requiring high DR negs as a film best suited for contraction of high contrast scenes...not expansion of low contrast scenes. That is just the nature of this material.

For those wanting increased contrast there are far better choices then HP5. Tmax 400, Efke PL 100, and FP4 are all better choices.

As a side note, over exposing film is not the answer to gaining increased contrast in fact if one is placing low values at Zone IV and V then the density range available on a given film is compromised to a very real extent. Over exposing film directly leads to reduced density range (contrast).

Having said that I will say that ABC will show a decrease in effective film speed...even when developing to high density ranges. Other staining developers do not show that same tendency.

Images
    This is the second thread I have started about ROLLO PYRO that has turned into a discussion on A
    BC PYRO. My understanding is that they are very different formulas and not to be confused with each other.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    This is the second thread I have started about ROLLO PYRO that has turned into a discussion on A
    BC PYRO. My understanding is that they are very different formulas and not to be confused with each other.
    Brian,

You are correct...I was responding to Jeffs assertion of the nature or HP5 film and his developer recommendations. I have no experience with ROLLO PYRO and will therefore tender my apology.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdef
    I In looking at the formulae for ABC Pyro and ABC Pyro+, it would seem that the +version is even more energetic than the standard version, so I stand by my comments.
    I missed the previous reference to ABC Pyro+ in this thread. What is it? Where can I see the formula. I did a google search and could not find ABC Pyro+. Is there really such a thing? I found PMK+, and ABC+, and Pyro+, but not ABC Pyro+.

Of course, Rollo Pyro was originally called ABC+, as some might remember, but never ABC Pyro+.

Sandy King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin