Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,817   Online: 1079

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Paper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ordered some glossy 5 X 7 RC paper from a local supplier, and after two weeks of being "back-ordered" they sent me this message:

"Regarding your order for the Ilford MGR 1M 5x7 - 250 sheets, the Ilford MGR paper has been discontinued by Ilford. The substitute that they suggest is ( Ecode 116761 ) MGIV.1M 5x7-250."

On the phone, he tells me that the replacement recommended by Ilford is not "multi-grade", but really grade 4 paper. That doesn't sound right to me, but he claims to be quoting Ilford.

I am totally confused. Can anyone shed any light on this? All I originally wanted was glossy multigrade RC paper.

TIA,

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John, as far as I know the "MG" designation is for Multi Grade paper. I just checked a box of 5x7 paper that I have and it says MGIV - Multigrade IV MGS.44K. I think the letter designation after the last MG(S) is because I use Pearl finish instead of glossy, or whatever. I think you will find that you are still getting a multigrade paper.
    Brian McDowell

Images
    MG means multigrade, IV means that this is the fourth series of this kind of paper. For more details visit www.ilford.com

M.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, why not just contact Ilford and ask them? They are at www.ilford.com I have always found them to be responsive. Keep us posted on their response.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use MGIV all the time and I can definitely confirm that it is a multigrade paper. As previously posted MG I was the first in the series and was markedly inferior to MGIV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I phoned Ilford this morning. The "R" was discontinued, the suggested substitute is an upgrade and is multigrade. I wouldn't have thought otherwise except for the self-styled "expert" at the photo store where I ordered it.
    Anyway, thanks for all the input.
    John
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not surprised by anything the photo department "experts" know. I once bought 100 speed color print film and the clerk told me that it is suitable only for portraits and other static subjects and that I should buy 400 speed instead. I didn't think to tell him that all of those National Geographic color pictures of the 1940's and 50's were taken with either ASA 10 Kodachrome or ASA 32 Ektachrome E-1.

gma

DKT

well, they could have thought you meant Multigrade Rapid--which I think was discontinued within the past year or so. MG Rapid was a developer incorporated multigrade paper--very similar to MGIII, but made for use in certain machine processors like kodak royalprint.

To me-- "MGR--1M, 5x7 250" means Multigrade rapid, RC (m= medium weight), 250 sheets of 5x7 in Ilford packaging lingo...I may have an old box around the lab someplace, but I used to use MG rapid alot. Good paper--had some lousy longevity issues though.

it could very well be that the replacement would be Ilfospeed Deluxe though-- a graded RC paper used in alot of machine processing as well.

I dunno--wild guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like you need to have a different store to shop in at this point. Try looking around for a decent mail order place to buy from and avoid these idiots. If their information is that bad, prices may be as well. The cost of shipping may be cheap in this case.

DKT

how is that really bad information though? I don't know if you've ever had the pleasure of dealing with Ilford's customer service--but they leave alot to be desired in some cases. It's often hard to get a straight answer out of them all the way through the chain.

as for their b&w product line now--it's almost as if the support end doesn't exist anymore. It's just maintaining...you might not believe me, but if you've ever dealt with them as far as photofinishing goes--or buying more than a box of paper here or there--you might understand.

KT

MY OPINIONS only not my employers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin