Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,555   Online: 997

Thread: Agfa Sistan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use RC paper for test prints and contact sheets and I can't say I've seen any problems with them aging, but they are not framed or under glass. I have been reading about the use of Agfa Sistan for RC print permanence and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it's use?
    Brian McDowell

Images
    I have used it. It doesnt change the color of the print at all, and so far, none of my prints have faded. Contact me in 15 years for more info
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Brian. I read that it stopped some kind of oxidation that seemed to give RC prints a metallic look in some of the shadow areas (?). This change is suppose to happen if you place the print in a frame and it is under glass.
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been using it as a preservative for RC prints and in place of Photo-Flo for film. Ctein recommends it for RC prints. I have had RC prints that have "silvered out" in the past before I started using Sistan, but those were also different papers from today's RC papers. We won't know for 15 years or so whether it's really effective, but reports suggest that it's worth a try. I usually print anything I intend to frame on fiber based paper, though.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brimc76
    Thanks Brian. I read that it stopped some kind of oxidation that seemed to give RC prints a metallic look in some of the shadow areas (?). This change is suppose to happen if you place the print in a frame and it is under glass.
    I remember an article by Ctein in one of the "Techniques" magazines to that effect. While I have a tremendous amount of respect for Ctein, I squinted my eyes reading that one. Seemed *far* more complicated - and less understandable - than what he usually writes.

I've been using RC papers since there were RC papers ... and have quite a few framed, under glass ... except for a few that were insufficiently fixed (I dumbly believed the manufacturer's recommendation for 30 seconds of rapid -ammonium thiosulfate - fixing) - I've seen nothing like a "metallic" shift, with or without toning or "Sistan".

I have used Sistan for the last ... ??? ten (?) years. One minute in a tray of - I've got to check the recommendations again - was it 25ml / liter?

*No* change in appearance - none that I can see. The treated prints - from 'way back, with and without glass - are fine.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

I think Sistan is kind of like taking vitamins. Nobody can really prove what they are doing or if they work but they feel safer taking them.

Remember that Sistan is meant to be the final solution the print goes into. There is no washing afterwards.

Michael McBlane

I use Sistan for Bergger VCCB fiber based paper. I like the warm tone exactly as is and selenium would ruin it.
    No experience with RC paper and Sistan. there is a caution on the instrucitions not to let droplets of sistan dry on the prints, too much concentration of chemicals, I believe.
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Remember that Sistan is meant to be the final solution the print goes into. There is no washing afterwards.
    Michael McBlane
    Thanks Michael, I didn't realize this was a final solution. I haven't found much in the way of instructions on using this product but I will not wash my prints anymore, after using the Sistan.
    Thanks to everyone else for the information given. I found a few bottles of this at a camera store closing sale and picked them up. I had heard of Sistan but never used it and after getting it home I then realized that I had no information on it's use other than mixing instructions.
    Brian McDowell

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I got these instructions from a Google search of Sistan on the second page.

""Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@i...> wrote on Mar 01, 2001 Original version

The instructions are: For film and fiber based prints dilute 25 ml of
    Sistan in 975 ml of water.
    For RC paper dilute 50 ml Sistan in 950 ml water.
    Soak prints or film for one minute. You must squeegee after the
    treatment to remove excess from the surface. Any excess or droplets
    may result in staining.
    There should have been instructions on the bottle and the box it
    came in.
    Sistan contains some wetting agent.

Sistan works to some degree but is not as effective as toning with a
    sulfide toner.
    ---
    Richard Knoppow
    Los Angeles, Ca.
    dickburk@ix.netcom.com"

This guy knows his stuff Process wise.

lee\c

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin