Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,110   Online: 896

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Print Flatness

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, I am,

wanted to keep thing internationally though. I have been thinking to tape prints down on two sides only. I usually print full frame and it would allow my to still make maximum use of the papersize.

JJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I also use the tape-ot-to-glass method. Maybe 1% drydown now, so I don't mind the slight loss of paper size due to trimming. Flatty, glass-like prints. (Thanks, Donald!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The drydown effect is caused because fibre prints shrink as they dry. This contraction of the gelatine causes the increase in contrast. Therefore taping stops the shrinkage, and the drydown.

If the image size / paper size is measured before, and after drying, the shrinkage will be evident. Because the taped print is not allowed to shrink it’s final trimmed size will be very close to the traditionally dried print.

Taping on only two sides will result in the print adopting an hourglass shape, interesting but unlikely to set a trend.

The slower a print is dried in the conventional way the flatter it will be. Clipping two prints back to back whilst they dry is another well tried method of flattening, but doesn’t get over the drydown problem.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    JJ,
    If you use the name "naaldvoerder" it is quite obvious that you are either from Holland or from Belgium. Hence my question.
    Anne Marieke

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey, thanks to all who chimed in on this.

I will try the methods offered up.

I can see this is a great place. Keep up the positive energy here!

Images
    shicks,

Just to add to the confusion: what I do is use plastic clothes hangers, the ones with the clips. Clip the wet print by two corners. Put two more clips on the bottom corners, for weight. Works pretty well. However, if you get serious about fiber paper, then there is nothing that beats a dry mount press, and nothing, IMHO, that looks better than a dry mounted fiber print.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    shicks,

Just to add to the confusion: what I do is use plastic clothes hangers, the ones with the clips. Clip the wet print by two corners. Put two more clips on the bottom corners, for weight. Works pretty well. However, if you get serious about fiber paper, then there is nothing that beats a dry mount press, and nothing, IMHO, that looks better than a dry mounted fiber print.
    Me too - exactly
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Images
    Years ago I had the uncharacteristic foresight to buy a Seal 110S dry mount press for a couple of hundred dollars when I had the chance.

Now I am with the hang 'em up to dry and then use the press to smooth them out contingent. Pretty quick and easy with very nice results.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use a FB print dryer, which dries a print totally flat in 10 minutes, albeit with a slight overall curve. Is this ok - are there any drawbacks to using this method?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Annemarieke/Cheryl,

Thanks for sharing your methods. Tried it yesterday and it works awesome; flat print of bigger size even after losing hte small rim and less drydown. Thanks again!!

JJ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin