Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,436   Online: 1149

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Print Flatness

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You're welcome.
    Good luck and enjoy!
    Anne Marieke

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    I use a FB print dryer, which dries a print totally flat in 10 minutes, albeit with a slight overall curve. Is this ok - are there any drawbacks to using this method?
    The most common warning that I see with using a dryer is that the apron can become contaminated with residual fixer from the prints over time. I wouldn't use one in a communal darkroom but I've never had a problem in my own darkroom. Just be very careful and consistant with your washing procedures.

My only problem with them is that you have to hang around and tend it until all your prints are dried. With hanging, you can split as soon as they are up and return when they are dry.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ah, but they are so beautifully, RC, flat.

Point taken, I'll be careful.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Annemarieke/Cheryl,

How many prints do you typically dry in one session? How many sheets of glass do you have stacked up with prints taped to them? How many prints taped to one piece of glass?

Just a few questions I think need to be answered.

lee\c

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm also a big fan of the hang em and dry mount method. The spare bathroom next to my darkroom has a clothesline over the bathtub. Works out as a perfect place to hang print to dry. Yes they have the shape of a potato chip; however, my dry mount press flattens them out perfectly. I agree that a dry mounted fiber print is absolutely the most beautiful.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhil
    Yes they have the shape of a potato chip; .
    Right. And not like those awful Stamped-out Pringles, mine come out looking like those delicious hand-made kettle chips. The press flattens them beautifully in short order, though.

Mmmmmm.... [drool] Chips...
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, been gone a while or would have added this sooner. Easy fast cheap method is to take a nice sheet of clean mat board and put your dried print on it. place a sheet of clean non acid paper over the top of that and then take your trusty iron (the kind you iron your clothes with) and iron it flat. Very soothing for the times you feel frustrated to iron the he** out of a print. After I place it under a few books and all is fine.
    Non Digital Diva

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin