Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,893   Online: 1188

Images
    Is Hypam 1+4 ok to use with Pyro based developers?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hope so. That's what I've been using for my 8x10 Efke/ABC negs. Do you have reason to believe otherwise?

Images
    No reason to believe so, but I don't know enough about chemistry to know if it is the correct type.
    hi!

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use it, after a couple of plain water rinses. I think some use ammonium based fixer to preserve the stain but I have never found it to be a problem.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford Hypam is an ammonium thiosufate based rapid fixer with no hardener incorporated. It works great with pyro because it does not contain a hardener. A non-hardening sodium thiosulfate based fixer will work equally well with pyro - just a bit slower.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Images
    excellent info, thanks!
    hi!

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Is Ilford Ilfostop also ok to use with Pyro? I see some people use plain water - why is that?

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    Is Ilford Ilfostop also ok to use with Pyro? I see some people use plain water - why is that?
    Don't know about Ilfostop but I would have thought just about any stop bath would have been OK in the correct dilution. When I first used a staining developer, the article I read said that a good wash for the film was sufficient and would obviate any stain reduction through the use of another chemical, to wit, the stop bath. It is a habit that I have got into and use plain water rinses with agitation whatever developer I use !
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An acid stop bath is not desireable and not needed with staining and tanning developers ("pyro"). Acidic solutions can reduce the stain.

A plain water rinse is fine - and it arguably increases fixer life.

Some workers use an alkaline fixer as a one-shot immediately post development (they add fixer concentrate directly to the used developer - post development).

Post development I use a brief water rinse, followed by an alkaline fixer (TF-4).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin