Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,877   Online: 989

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R C Papers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I use RC paper I use MG IV Portfolio - Pearl. It is very nice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Latest issue of View Camera magazine has a good review of papers by Bruce Barlow. He includes at least one RC paper, Ilford RC Cooltone, in his top ten ( or was it top 12).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've also used Ilford Portfolio RC and frankly, was amazed by what it could do. It is very nice paper.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Ilford say (though explicitly don't guarentee) that the new RC's are believed to be as archival as fibre - though they honestly admit that only time will judge that accuratly.

I've used mainly fibre. However as I'm working in a "home darkroom" (ie the sort with a toilet and shower in it) my proceedures aren't as rigiouros as perhaps they should be. Under these conditions I suspect that RC may well fair better: Fibre processed well may be better than RC handled correcly, but as its more porous fibre is more vulnerable to poor washing, or fixing. I suspect that poorly processed RC will last longer than poorly processed fibre.

Of course the correct answer is to be more carefull and process more carefully...

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently had to print about 100 8x10 proofs to go with a set of Fiber prints from a collection of vintage negatives. The proofs could be RC so I took my time to re acquaint myself with the materials. I found the Kodak polycontrast RC F, (F=lustre finish) to give a look most similar to a fiber paper. The Ilford line is probably the best overall with the RC Cooltone a very good paper for cold image applications.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Kokak Polycontrast III, Lustre of late, and I like it. The dull soft appearance is nice for certain subjects. I also use some Kodak Polycontrast II glossy and it's fine also.

I'm just back into a darkroom after about 5 years off, and have my own now. So like you, I just wanted to get back into it. I tried fiber a week or so ago, and I'm not saying that I won't change my mind in the future, but for they type of stuff I do, the speed and ease of RC makes me happiest!!

Does anyone know if there are any good RC papers that take to toning very easily? I've heard that most don't.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It will depend on what you need and want with toning RC papers. We have tested a few and as I remember Berggers RC in selenium had a very nice warm brown tone, Seagull will also make a strong color shift. Have also toned Ilford's RC in sepia and then in selenium and ended up with chololate.
    ALso, have used copper and iron , separtely and split with success. Of course these last two are not archival but RC is still toning.

In fact as i am typing and thinking. In our toning class which covers the basic toners at least one or two people tossed in some RC with results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin