Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,480   Posts: 1,542,693   Online: 838

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R C Papers

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know it is tabu even to mention RC paper, but I am more interested in conserving water and spending less of my time than in leaving behind photographs that will last 100 years. I am in the process of setting up a wet darkroom after 22 years without one. The Ilford RC papers I used in the 70's did not impress me at all. I know RC papers have been improved since then. Any recommendations on current RC papers, either VC or graded? I prefer either glossy or "pearl"semi-gloss.

gma

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I work with RC paper it is with Ilford Pearl. It's very nice and easy to work with.

Images
    I don't think RC is tabu at all.

The new ilford RC multigrade paper is great. The Perl finish is one of my favorites. It is very different than the paper I learned on in the late 80's.

Brian
    hi!

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I just bought two packages of Ilford MG IV pearl a few weeks ago. I am glad to hear it was a good choice.

gma

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford Multigrade IV RC works very well for me. I see nothing wrong with RC paper for everyday work, and am not totally convinced that it's any less archival than other papers.
    Jacob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Making archival prints is not the only reason to work in fibre. It is much more beautiful than RC, that's my main reason for working in fibre only for final prints.

Having said that, there is nothing against printing in RC, and even less against talking about it.

I mostly use llford Multigrade IV RC to make proof prints.

Good luck,
    Anne Marieke

Images
    I was in the exact same position, returning to the darkroom after a long absence and determined to keep things as simple and easy as possible. I found that the new Ilford RC papers are much improved over the ones that I used a couple of decades ago.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    besides mgIV, ilford makes another really nice rc paper called "portfolio rc" (or something like that) - it is heavyweight and almost feels like fiber paper. i've used it off and on - it is pretty nice stuff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I never got used to Ilford Multigrade paper....I could never get the sort of print I wanted out of it. These days I'm using nothing but AGFA paper (outside of Azo, anyway) in both RC and FB. I've found their RC paper to be very easy to get a good print out of and it responds well to different developers. Pick up a 25 pack and see how you like it.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't use RC papers for my work, but I have tested and have students who have tried various RC papers and we all agree that Seagull Oriental is the winner.

This is another case of whatever works for you, is the best choice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin