Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1041

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    The only "problem" I've had eith Pyrocat-HD and VC paper is that it doesn't really translate well to graded paper. I find myself printing og grade 1 graded and grade 5 VC - which makes it more troublesome for burning and dodging. I now use mostly FX-2 for negatives intended for enlargement.
    Ole,

The issue is not that Pyrocat-HD does not do well with graded papers. It is simply a matter of developing the negative to a DR that corresponds to the ES of the paper, as with all developers. The issue is the same as for PMK and all other pyro staining developers, i.e. a different density range is needed for printing with graded papers and VC papers.

What I would advise for people who want to print on both graded paper and VC papers is to develop for the ES requirements of the graded paper, and then adjust contrast by filtration for the VC paper. How much adjustment you will need to make will depend on the specific developer/film combination.

Your message suggests a printing difference of four grades, i.e. #1 for graded papers and #5 for VC papers. That does not sound right to me. I have never observed a difference of more than two grades with any of the pyre staining developers, and typically the difference has been less than a full grade.

I will say that I am very familiar with FX-2 and consider it one of the very best non-staining developers for silver printing. Unfortunately it lacks the energy to provide the needed contrast in my development for alternative printing so I have been using it less and less ovdr the years. But if I ever went back to silver printing (not going to happen) and wanted a non-staining developer (not likely) FX-2 would be first on my list.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sandy,

Thank you for sharing Thorntons theory and the results of his testing. I am heartened that my thinking on this matter hasn't been totally off base.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    The issue is not that Pyrocat-HD does not do well with graded papers. It is simply a matter of developing the negative to a DR that corresponds to the ES of the paper, as with all developers. The issue is the same as for PMK and all other pyro staining developers, i.e. a different density range is needed for printing with graded papers and VC papers.

Your message suggests a printing difference of four grades, i.e. #1 for graded papers and #5 for VC papers. That does not sound right to me. I have never observed a difference of more than two grades with any of the pyre staining developers, and typically the difference has been less than a full grade.
    I agree completely, Pyrocat-HD does indeed do well with all papers. But with my LF enlarger with hand-held contrast filters (I use Yellow and Blue), it is a little frustrating...

The difference in grade I reported isn't exact - as I said just now I use "split grade" printing. But the difference is certainly a lot more than one grade! Maybe I'm overdeveloping? Or maybe my lightbulb is too yellow?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking

I agree completely, Pyrocat-HD does indeed do well with all papers. But with my LF enlarger with hand-held contrast filters (I use Yellow and Blue), it is a little frustrating...

The difference in grade I reported isn't exact - as I said just now I use "split grade" printing. But the difference is certainly a lot more than one grade! Maybe I'm overdeveloping? Or maybe my lightbulb is too yellow?
    Ole,

I don't want to interrupt Sandy and your dialogue. Please forgive me for doing so. My question that arose is the variable contrast filters that came with my Durst 138 S enlargers. These seem to work very well in progressive steps of contrast. They seem to be made from Kodak filters that have been enclosed in a glass envelope. I place them immediately ahead of the heat absorbent glass ahead of the light bulb and before the condensers.

There happens to be a set of these filters up for sale on Ebay now.

Sorry for the interrruption. Good luck.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, Don!

I'll have a look and see what I can find. One of the reasons why I prefer graded paper is that it leaves both hands free for burn&dodge on the big enlarger - and the contrast is - if not variable - at least adjustable by chemical trickery. which is a challenge I happen to enjoy, unlike attemptin things that realy need four hands...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ole, is there some possibility of setting up a frame that would hold your filter while you do something more productive? Perhaps a frame from a different make of enlarger could be adapted.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have split filter printed with my Durst. If one is careful the filter drawer can be opened and filters changed without disturbing registration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    Ole, is there some possibility of setting up a frame that would hold your filter while you do something more productive? Perhaps a frame from a different make of enlarger could be adapted.
    The filter holding frame could be made easily enough from scrap. I used to pop the red filter out of those swing away things and use it for VC filters. Theres also the little plastic gizmo that kodak sold with the polycontrast set that clamped to the lens. I never liked those, clumsy and inelegant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin