Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,857   Online: 830

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    That would make sense. But without a pre-wash I would very quickly be using purple Diafine...

Well, hopefully a funky color is the only drawback of not pre-washing Macophot UP 100.
    You will be surprised at how non-blue the developer becomes if you do not pre-wash Efke. I had occasion to develop some Efke 100 without the prewash and was amazed that the color did not appear. Instead I got a little in the fix and a little more in the Hypo Clear, but I wondered where the blue went. I used HC110 and XTOL. I am not sure about Diafine. The anti-halation dye must chemically change color in developers. Perhaps the lurking chemists can clear this up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not my personal experience, but others have used the same Diafine bottle with lots of rolls jut filtering it using a coffe filter and pouring it back in the bottle.
    This stuff seems bullet proof.

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good number of the anti-halation dyes will change be rendered colorless, or nearly so, in some develoipers. But really, do you care what color your used developer is as long as it works well? I have some Diafine where part A has gone magenta but it still works just fine and doesn't stain the film.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FOR THOSE WHO CARE:

Well, I just developed a few Macophot Up 100 and a few tri-x rolls on diafine, and here are the first impressions:

-The macophot could have been shot at e.i. 100 instead of 200, but the negs look printable. (I haven't done a contact sheet yet, so more on this later).

-The tri-x negs look right on at e.i. 1250 (same as above).

-The diafine part A took a purple tint very quickly (i've developed 10 Macophot rolls and 4 tri-x), but who cares?

-part B is getting a bit yellow, but once again, no objections from me.

-curiously, the water bath begins with a tint similar to Diafine part B after pouring it out, but after only 10 minutes it turns into a very deep yellow. Curious, but that's all.

These are just my first impressions. If all goes well, I'll post a few shots from the trip soon.

Shooter
    35mm
    First, Andre, when you say a big lab that uses Xtol: AFAIK, Kodak has never sold the stuff in this country.

Diafine:

My guess (never tried it) is that if you leave prewashed film long enough in bath A, it will be OK (dev will 'replace' water).
    How long? I would test from 5 to 10 min.

But honest, if you want an emergency dev, I would consider HC-110. Diafine is not good for non push development (at least in my opinion).

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jorge,

It very well might be that Kodak never sold XTOL in Brasil, my memory isn't very good anyway.

De qualquer forma, eu ja voltei de viagem, e estou revelando em casa... Mas eu tinha quase certeza que o tal laboratorio usava xtol. Era um equivalente do d-76, e como eles eram da Kodak, eu não acho que seja Id-11. Não importa, eu nem tentei contacta-los desta vez. Prefiro ser responsavel pelos meus proprios erros :-)

The increase in time in Diafine sounds like a plan... I was developing for 4 minutes, will try 10. Worst case scenario, I'll get an intensifier (selenium or safer equivalent)... Most of the films are pushed already, so I'll stick with diafine... the fact that I'm very cheap helps in making that decision.

Anyway, tomorrow I'll make contact sheets.. we'll see

Muito obrigado pela resposta

Shooter
    35mm
    Disponha, Andre
    VC está aonde?

Jorge O

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jorge,

Eu moro em um suburbio de Dallas, TX, e esta é a minha casa hoje em dia. Sou carioca, morei em São Paulo, e gosto muito da Bahia (por isso a viagem ao nordeste), mas por forças maiores vim para os EUA...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Update:

Changing the Diafine times had no influence on development, but that's alright since I'm going to Selenium tone the negs anyway.... There's plenty of shadow detail on the negs (or at least enough to where I'm more than hopefull with the Selenium), so my mind is at ease. As far as pre-washing goes, I'm not doing it and see no reason to start... the funky color doesn't even catch my eye anymore....

Well, that was about 17 rolls developed today.... hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll be printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andre, you deserve a medal. What was it? Thirty rolls? On the other hand: who would want a medal for something that is so enjoyable.
    Hans
    Last edited by clogz; 06-17-2004 at 07:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin