Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,881   Online: 1026

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    As I, and others have stated, once the pros gradually shift away from analog, the large corporations will discontinue or sell off their analog processes.

THere will however be a number of "boutique" companies that will supply everything we will need. The problem will probably be that there won't be the same amount of choice there is today. The prices may also go up because of the less volume and less competition.

Michael

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whether or not this rumor is true, we know that all manufacturers will produce what will return a profit. I think we can be certain of seeing fewer products available to us in the very near future. The smaller obscure firms will no doubt be in a favorable environment for selling their traditional emulsions worldwide as long as there is a market.

gma
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

The unfortunate part of this is that these big companies will discontinue products not because they don't make a profit, but because they don't make a HUGE profit.

Michael

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We have no choice but to adapt to the films that will be available. Can you imagine the outcry when wet plates were replaced with dry plate technology and what about when glass plates were replaced by flexible film? How will we ever keep that curly stuff flat enough to print in an enlarger? Be courageous. We will survive.

gma
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

I'm glad I did all my coming to terms with this in 2000 when Kodak announced it was discontinuing all 5x7 film. (later partially rescinded).

Now I don't have to contribute to this thread...

But if I did I would say that medium format film is more endangered than 35mm or large format. "35mm" digital is replacing it as we speak. Hope the medium format people prefer B&W...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hasn't Agfa already been just a marginal player in this field for years now? If Agfa dropped out of film entirely, all formats, would it be that big a deal, except to the chickenlittle crowd, or the everything-that-wasn't-invented-five minutes-ago-is-dead crowd? Personally, as an amateur for over 30 years, 40 if you count my childhood years with a little Brownie and my teen years with a Diana and a Polaroid, I've never once felt the need to use an Agfa film. Not once. Mind you, most places, there was no Agfa film to buy anyway. I don't even remember seeing an Agfa camera all these years until I saw some old folders recently in a shop (and not being in the U.S., it's not because they were Anscos either). In fact, I could have gone my whole life without ever knowing Agfa even existed, and not been the worse for it. But I have used plenty of Kodak, Konica and Fuji though.

Polaroid declared bankruptcy not that long ago, and they seem to be doing Ok, even introducing new films. If anybody should be dead because of digital, it's got to be Polaroid. A company is even producing a current model of the old Polaroid 195 for Pete's sake.

So, film sales go down, they don't disappear! Some manufacturers will inevitably have to go - that's the way capitalism works.

Painting and drawing were replaced technologically by photography decades ago as the method of illustrating newspapers. Then photograohy itself evolved for that purpose from plates to roll film to 35mm, and now photography itself has been replaced for that purpose by digital imaging crap (and yes, most of it is crap if you really stop to look at it). It didn't mean the death of painting and drawing, did it? Guess what? Artists, both amateur and pro, are always free to chose their own medium. For that matter, hand-made art could have been replaced by digitized technology for years now, but it hasn't. Why? Because digital is too clinical and mechanistic. Few people of an artistic temperament want to do things digitally, in any field. BTW, I've always considered photography an art, even if some practicioners really aren't artists (depending on what they are taking the pictures for).

Personally, I think there's a bit of a fad now, and it will eventually die down to some level of equilibrium between film and digital junk. So, let's not all lose our heads just yet. Just look at the current popularity of alternative methods of printing and so on. It's bigger now than it has ever been.

Pierre (if it's not analog, it's not photography)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's just that AGFA made some REALLY great films.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I guess I could or should finally try some before they disappear though

I remember when Studebaker cars went out of production, sometime around 1964 or 65. Not enough buyers for the production capacity in North America at that time. It had already happened the decade before to Packard and Hudson, and others before that. But GM, Ford and Chrysler are still making them.

Pierre (not a closet digital user)
    P.S. Seriously, I don't think it's good thing for the industry, but I don't see it as a disaster either, or as a sign that it's time to jump to digital. For me anyway, if and when it gets to the point that my camera has to be a computer, I'm just dropping the hobby entirely. It won't be worth doing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    APX 25 was an incredible film. I still have many rolls and I use it sparingly.

APX 100 is my favorite film right now but I fear I might have to find another medium speed film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre
    ... I've never once felt the need to use an Agfa film. Not once.
    And this means ... what?

I've used Agfa films, nearly exclusively for ... When was Isopan Record (I still have one roll of that) - and Isopan ...around? --- The mid `50's?
    I've preferred them over all others -- which proves nothing.

I will survive without them... but it will be painful ... I've got to the point where I have *some* "understanding" of them.

It WILL be a "big deal" for ME.
    Does that make me a "chicken little" type? - ... As if I give a gluteus maximus from the family Muridae about what someone who condemns a film - with admittedly *NO* knowledge of its characteristics - labels me.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin