Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,254   Online: 848

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: film developing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ka, what developer are you using? I should have asked this before.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use Rodinal developer.

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Oh, and I'm only processing 120 film... soon 4x5 will be an issue, and I'll be making new querries at that point.

Thank you for all your help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal is one of my favorite developers. Rodinal works well with most B&W films and will yield uniformly developed negatives with a variety of different agitation techniques.

Continuous agitation works fine with Rodinal (with shortened developing times - - about 20% to 25% shorter than development with intermittent agitation).

Intermittent agitation also works fine with Rodinal. For example, I am currently developing Ilford Delta 100 in Rodinal diluted with 50 parts water to 1 part Rodinal for 11 minutes at 68 deg. F. I am developing in a small tank with 10 seconds of gentle agitation per minute. This means one agitation period per minute consisting of 4 or 5 gentle inversion cycles of the tank (twisting and rotating the tank while inverting).
    Tom Hoskinson

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well Tom, we're using the same film as well. All of mine contain portraits. Should I do the INTERMITTENT AGITATION or SHORTENED CONTINUOUS?

What are the results of these two techniques? How do I know from which to choose?

Thanks for this.
    Ka

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well Ka, you will probably not see any difference in either the negatives or the resulting prints with either agitation technique (once you have determined the developing time & temperature for each agitation method). If you have already established an agitation procedure, I would advise sticking with it. From your initial post, it sounds like you may already be using automatic rotation.

If you change (or are establishing) agitation methods, you will need to do some testing in order to get Maximum Densities and Contrast Index that match your printing procedures.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ka,

Can only tell you what I do, which is either Rodinal 1+25 or 1+50 for either Plus-X (older version, Kodak priced it to high with the new stuff) or lately with FP4 Plus which I find very nice. I give it the normal agitation for the the first minute, then 4 to 5 inversions each minute there after. I have had no problem with grain and have some 35mm that I have enlarged to 8x10 with not problems, but like any 35 it is noticeable at 11x14 and not pleasant with enlarged to 16x20..but what 35mm is?

It seems you either like the stuff or not. Have to admit I have never tried 'tipping' - Oh, by the way I use a small metal tank and reel, but use 2 reels for 35mm and fill the tank.

Good luck.
    Mike C

Rambles

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin