Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,209   Online: 1051

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: film developing

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When developing my 120 film (Ilford Delta 400/rated at 320) I was recently advised to tip up and down INSTEAD of regular rotation agitation for film developing in my little Jobo tank.

Do you concur or disagree?

Thanks!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I normally tip mine on a 37.5 degree angle but only when the moon is full. otherwise, i tip my little jobo a full 38 degrees.

Obviously I am kidding. I cannot honestly see how the type of "tip" matters. It's the agitation that matters. Not the direction.

Shooter
    35mm
    For a few years I've used an Ansco tank in which the film was rotated left/right a few times.
    Later on I purchased a Jobo in which I did inversions to agitate.

Honestly, I've never seen any significant difference...

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use inversion with my Patterson tanks.

To be honest I think it's more important to be consitant in how you agitate not what you do to agitate.

cheers

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What I have found that rotation gives some more contrast. Very pleasing when you use a diffusion enlarger.
    Keep on rolling

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all your input... I guess I'm a little tea pot. tip tip tip

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ka,
    If you are not vigorous with agitation, you may start to experience uneven development and loss of contrast. Maybe even bromide drag on the negative. This is not good. In my estimation more damage can be done to the negative with too LITTLE agitation than with too MUCH agitation. When I process roll film in cans, I quickly upend the cannister several times in the first minute and then rap the tank on the sink and then don't touch it until the next time and then I repeat the process. I usually agitate on the minute and only on the minute. Try it you will like it.

lee\c

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    lee:

Agitation is developer dependent. Minimal agitation, semi-stand and stand techniques all work very well with 120 roll film developed in Pyrocat-HD in a small tank. Film developed this way is very uniform and has excellent acutance.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Tom,

I understand this and while I have never done it, I do know people that have had success doing this. Don Miller comes to mind right away. Ka is a relative newcomer and is still a student in photography. She may not be ready for stand and semi-stand techniques yet. If one uses times and temp techniques for agitation that are considered the basis of film development and accepted practices, then I stand by my statement.

lee\c

Quote Originally Posted by Ka
    When developing my 120 film (Ilford Delta 400/rated at 320) I was recently advised to tip up and down INSTEAD of regular rotation agitation for film developing in my little Jobo tank.

Do you concur or disagree?

Thanks!!
    I am a tipper. You are only aiming to move the developer that has become exhausted and it should be moved as consistently as is manageable. Fluid mechanics is way out of my league but I can concur that tipping works well for me.

Although you did not mention it, I don't tip for 35mm as it often leads to uneven development at the sprocket holes, where the fresh developer streams through... in those cases I use rotation.

Have you considered 4x5 and dish development with the joys of n+? There are two bath techniques or my own favourite of soft working compensating developers. Not to mention plus or minus water bath in between developing stages? Only joking.
    JeffC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin