Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,767   Online: 797

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lyle--The "insufficient solution" issue I was mentioning is an agitation effect having to do with inversion tank development. Too much air in the tank seems to cause uneven agitation at the top of the tank, or perhaps some sort of oxidation effect, resulting in extra edge density at the top edge of the film (I process rollfilm and 4x5" using an inversion tank usually).

If you are getting extra edge density with 8x10" in trays, then try larger trays. It is most likely the result of additional agitation at the edges from the way the solution moves in the tray.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    when mixing a and b . they begin yellow, go a strange "green" and then end up a slight "orange".As i remember it always has gone through this rainbow of colors.

When i go into class tonight i will run a color check.

I also just ran a roll for a test, and when a another roll "thaws" out i will run a second and test several methods. Dipping the reels and mixing some fresh "b".

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    David:

Lyle is using about 3 liters of chems so I would think he is using 11x14 trays at least. But that is just a guess.

Ann,

I don't remember a green color when they mix. Your darkroom might be better lit than mine.

lee\c

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I mix the developer in the light, and the shift is always the same, yellow, then a sort of a gray green, but then to that pale "orange". Has always done this, even with a new bottles.

It will be interesting to see what happens when i run some other tests. i will let you know. Hopefully, that will be in the next few days. However, my students come first and as they are right in the middle of a film/developer class it is hard for me to develop negatives when they are doing theirs. So it might be the week end before I can develop my test rolls.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lee, that makes sense. I also do 8x10" sheets in 11x14" trays too (usually ABC pyro in that case, rather than PMK with negs to be contact printed), and about 3 l of solution would be right. Maybe it's a problem with the agitation pattern.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The few times I have had uneven development with PMK:

1) Filling the tank too slowly throught the small hole in the lid with developer.

2) Improper agitation

3) Filling the tank with fixer too slowly.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, here is the latest news.

Per Lee suggestion (and others, myself included) I ran another test roll tonight. Didnot pour developer into the tank. Placed film in tank that contained the developer. process as usual.

Staining problem still there. So it would appear that the next step is to mix some stock "B", and give that a try.

mixed a with b and the results was yellow, when adding distilled water we went though the color change and the developer ended up a pale orange shade.

The stock solution of A is a pale yellow, stock b is clear.

I hate to finish these rolls with a different developer but if the next trial ends with the same results i will order some new developer. Probably pryocat -hd and give that a try.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ann:

Please see my post on mixing Part B. I misstated the chemical needed for Part B. It is sodium metaborate and not sodium sulfite as I stated. Sorry for the confusion.

lee\c

Images
    If the B solution is giving you trouble, or you suspect so, there is an alternative. Triethanolamine is an organic base that may be used in place of the Kodalk in equal amounts. That is, if you would use 10 ml of the Kodalk solution, 10 ml of TEA will also do. TEA is available from Photographer's Formulary, but I use a tecnical grade from www.chemistrystore.com at about $16 US per gallon. Give it a test, of course, before you do important work.

The stuff is pretty thick syrup and freezes at about 70 F, so keep it warm.
    Gadget Gainer

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks lee, i was going to double check with you as i thought it was the m sodium no the s.

same ratio tho? I just want to mix enough for a test . And, or if mixing fresh for each session a smaller amount than 2000 liters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin