Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,225   Online: 895

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are probably right, jrong. I had seen the name Agfa Scala in photo magazine mail order ads, but I never paid any attention until I saw the slides at the architectural lecture. When I heard that special mail- in processing is required I lost interest. I can't think of any reason to use Scala in LF unless I wanted to publish b&w photos. There are excellent negative films available that we can process ourselves + or - to our personal requirements.

gma
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Scala is absolutely beautiful. I have been using it in 35 mm format for the past two years, mostly for close-ups in nature. I consider it to be the "fibre" quality of slide material and to me it is an enormous bonus that it is in black & white.

Due to health reasons I have not been able to do any long printing sessions recently, and Scala forms a perfect alternative.

As to scanning: I have found Scala to be very hard to scan. It can be quite contrasty and colour casts is also a problem. Scanning the matte side of the slides helps, but only marginally.

I have now asked a photography friend who owns a very good scanner and who has more knowledge than me about scanning, to scan a few slides for me. When I get them back next Tuesday, I will post some examples.

To me it is not at all a problem that very few labs process this material. I buy mailers and send it to the lab in Amsterdam, or take it there myself, in which case I have it back in two hours.

When I am in Scotland doing my landscape photography, I post the films directly from there to the lab in Holland, and the slides are waiting for me at home when I come back. :-)

I truly hope Agfa does not discontinue this beautiful film.

Anne Marieke

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I fully agree. It is a most beautiful product for 35mm slides. I believe that the market for black & white slides is very limited in the US, however.

gma
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Pinhole

Scala and general reversal question

I just started looking at Scala as a potential way to get to larger negatives for contact printing:

Shoot Scala
    Enlarge onto large Sheet film (perhaps litho with contone developer)
    Contact print

This seemed easier that interpositive or whatever that involves.

In reading, I see that it may be possible to get a positive transparency from a negative by reversing.

Do I understand this correctly and is the quality good enough?

I have aerial film in mind (Kodak 2402).

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin