Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,460   Online: 908

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This Morning Ralf Büscher from Agfa Germany officially commented on the ongoing rumours about Agfa discontinuing their line of 120 films on http://www.schwarzweiss-magazin.de/s...ame_forum.htm:

"Agfa wird in Deutschland auch in Zukunft Rollfilm (Format 120) anbieten. Anderslautende Gerüchte, die derzeit in Internetforen kursieren, treffen also nicht zu."

Let me try to translate: "Agfa (germany) will continue to offer 120 films in germany for the foreseeable future. Rumours to the contrary currently circulating on Internet-forums are false."

He furthermore states that decisions to offer or not offer a product in a certain country is the sole decision of the local distributor. Therefore, as I understand this, if Agfa Sweden will no longer deliver 120 films, it has been Agfa Sweden's decision to end their customers supply of film that is still being manufactured and sold elsewhere.

best

Stefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This is really great news for several reasons.

The first being that the "rumor" has made it inside to someone at Agfa.
    Second, now they know we love their film.

Maybe this means something?

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds promising, but does continuing to offer film in Germany in the foreseeable future really mean anything to us?

gma
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

yeah, it means you'll be able to order it from J&C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gma
    Sounds promising, but does continuing to offer film in Germany in the foreseeable future really mean anything to us?
    gma
    Agfa Germany can only speak for Agfa Germany. If Agfa USA decides not to carry 120, they are obviously free to do so. If you want to replenish your stocks now you can get as much as you can carry even if local distributors don't have it in stock or removed it from their list as Agfa is still manufacturing it and will at least deliver it via the mailorder-company already mentioned, the latter being a last resort.

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wasn't this how the demise of agfa apx100 in 4x5 started last year? Seems it only took a couple of months and it was entirely gone. Same response from agfa too.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie
    Wasn't this how the demise of agfa apx100 in 4x5 started last year? Seems it only took a couple of months and it was entirely gone. Same response from agfa too.
    Good point. If was in love with APX 100/400 in 120 I would fill my freezer right now as long as it is available. Maybe a good time to fill the freezer with *anything* you would miss in a few years from now.

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard from an insider source that Agfa Scala is being put "on trial" for the next 18 months or so before Agfa decides on its future. I can only guess that Scala sales are disappointing, what with the difficulties associated with processing the film in numerous countries. Living in London, I consider myself fortunate to have easy access to the sole UK lab that processes Scala. However, it is also one of my very favourite B+W films and this is very disturbing news. What can we film users do to persuade Agfa not to pull this excellent product?? Given Agfa's track record, I don't feel particularly optimistic.....

Jin

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For anyone who has not had the opportunity to view Agfa Scala 35mm slides, they are really amazing. I recently attended an architectural lecture that had all Scala slides. They have a full range of tones and look very sharp to me. I read somewhere that scanning from a Scala LF transparency for publication is superior to using either negatives or prints. In the US there are only 3 processing labs that I am aware of. The cost for 35mm is about $15 including processing. I suspect that this is another superior product about to disappear from the market due to lack of interest.

gma
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure if it is lack of interest from users or a flawed marketing strategy from Agfa. Whatever the case, it'll be a sad sad day if Scala were to disappear from our shelves. I might have to buy a new freezer.

Jin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin